Acer Aspire 4743 - tried Win 10 update via USB stick

Options
mb_comp2016
mb_comp2016 Member Posts: 1 New User

I tried to update my Acer Aspire via USB stick.

Made Windows media with Windows Software and ran through update.

Win update erased hard drive content and when asked for product key

which I retrieved before, key got rejected.

Tried several times with similar results.

Called Microsoft supplied key to them and was told ACER needs to unlock the key.

Tried to find any indication how to do that and when trying to contact Acer chat got message

my system is no longer under warranty.

I don't think this is a warranty issue. My computer worked fine until three hours ago and then

went to ... you know what.

Microsoft blames ACER and I have no way (so far) to find out if that is even correct.

Now I have a laptop paperweight and hope someone in this forum can help (any ACER tech support guys around?)

Please. this is my wives computer and she will make my life hell when she finds out.

Thanks

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi mb_comp2016,

Starting with Windows 8, a unique key is assigned and included in the motherboard of Windows products that Acer sells. Unfortunately, we aren't able to provide a new key. If a failure has occured when trying to do the update, I'd have to recommend performing a system recovery. Depending on the state of the HDD, you may be able to start that recovery by power the machine off 3 times as soon as any portion of Windows tries to load, by using the ALT-F10 as soon as the system boots or by using a USB recovery if you have. If you or your wife did not make a recovery disk, they are available on our Acer Store.

Cory

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

There have been something like three releases of Windows 10 so far and a lot of the problems with product keys were fixed in the latest. Download a new W10 image from Microsoft and redo the bootable thumb drive creation with it, then do the upgrade again.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.