only option on F12 is to select boot option or use default. Don't have anything to boot with?

Options
Feathers
Feathers Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I wanted to brag about how much I know about computers since i've built numerous ones and repaired everything I messed up.  But, now having a big senior moment and cannot for the life of me know what to select when rebooting acer aspire az3101.  The monitor wouldn't light, so I took the computer apart, made sure no dust was in the way, the fans work..and everything was in it's place.  So, plugged it in and got it to start but only get as far as select proper boot device and press key.  Yeah, I know  I know..I didn't make a boot disk.  Been beating myself up with wet noodle so now what's next?  

Feathers

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

HDD is connected?

if so, at F12 can you choose it as boot device?

was the PC booting from that HDD?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rollingrockmoe
    rollingrockmoe Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

go on site enter the type of system u have f12 aint always the redo

• Feathers
    Options

Shoot, I've put the computer back together and am sure now that a fan isn't operating correctly.  Not just that but, getting it to power up is a shot in the dark.  Although I keep turning it back on to see if I can catch it before the screen either goes blank or gives the option to reboot and select the boot option, (which I've done, but the only option given is to put in boot disk). I know the heat sink isn't and wasn't properly installed. There was just barely  a smidgen of paste and the fan fell right off when I turned the computer for a better look.  When I first power on, I can get the blue light to appear but most of the time, it goes blank after a few seconds.  At times, I can hear a fan trying to start but then shuts down too.  I think i'll just have to order the new computer and use this one for parts.  Thanks, Dale

• Feathers
    Options

OOps forgot this part, It's too bad that we don't get a boot disk with the computer at purchase.  :/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

no one gives boot disk anymore, you must do it in the first days of use, using the provided software (acer erecovery)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Feathers
    Options

No, don't have any boot disc and too lazy to make one.  Acer doesn't supply a disk with the purchase and the boot disk itself I think was between 30 and 40 dollars and at that time, I thought my computer was invincible.  Was working on it some more today and see where there's more damage from the strike so think it best just to buy the new computer and use the old one for parts.  I sure don't want to sink more money into it without being certain that other parts weren't damaged in some form or manner. You can be sure though, like the computer I'm using now, there WILL be a boot disk.