my acer aspire switch 10 does not connects to the internet while other devices do

drmona
drmona Member Posts: 4 New User

my acer aspire connecs to the internet at home and at one of my offices, but not my second office.  at this second office, both my android phone and my android tablet do connect to the internet.  anyone know why the acer doesnt connect?  is there a setting i need to adjust?  it cant be the router because other devices do connect, right?

thank you!

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

How many devices are connected to the router you are unable to connect to?

Have you tried power cycling the router?

What model router are you using that the Switch 10 is not connecting to? 

Does the Switch 10 see the wireless network, but just fail to connect, or will it not see the network at all?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Also, check with the person who is responsible for the wireless network at your second office.  They may be using wireless MAC filtering.  They may need to allow your device to have access.  

Another thing to look at is the SSID.  If office1 and office2 have the same SSID, you may need to either change one of the SSIDs so it's unique or "forget" the network and try again.  Of course you'll want to double check the password too as they are case sensitive.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-delete-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-81

http://www.howtogeek.com/204458/why-you-shouldn%E2%80%99t-use-mac-address-filtering-on-your-wi-fi-router/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • drmona

thanks.  the devices that connect to the network are just the acer aspire, my phone, and my android tablet.  the acer sees the network, and sometimes connects, but mostly i get "limited connectivity" that doesnt allow me to go on the internet. i will find out the router name.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Ok. thanks for the information. You may also try to power cycle the router by unplugging the power for 30 seconds, then connecting the power again.

• JordanB

If the switch uses the CHT(Cherry Trail), and I 'think' it does, you can try the hot fix in Windows update.  But first make sure it uses CHT before you install the hotfix.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3033446

• drmona

thanks.  how do i find out if my acer switch 10 uses cherry trail?  i searched for it and it didnt come up as cht or cherry trail.

mona

• JordanB

I searched google for you and found that it's not cherry trail.  It's Bay Trail according to the article.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5664436/acer-aspire-switch-10-announced

Might be best to go back through the previous posts and answer the questions.  Such as....what wireless router are you using?  The make and model number. Have you unplugged the router for 30 seconds?

Do you have a lot of wireless routers in the vicinity with 2.4 Ghz interference?  Try changing the channel of the router (1,6,or11 is preferred).  Make sure the router's 2.4 Ghz channel width is set to "20 Mhz only".  

If you have a lot of 2.4 Ghz interference, you might have to try to connect to 5Ghz.  The Switch 10 supports both 2.4ghz and 5 Ghz.  I'm not sure if your router does, because you never answered the question in previous post.

Edit: "Limited connectivity" is often times related to an IP address conflict or an improperly configured network (router)...such as double NATing on the same subnet (LAN segment).

• drmona

thanks! I will be able to find out the router info soon and will check these settings.