Wish to re-instal Windows 7 - no original disc!

Options
jcyeandle
jcyeandle Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello, I've recently purchased a previously owned Veriton L670G for our family PC.

It seems to be a very nice and compact unit.

I wish to do a clean install of the Win 7 Professional on a new hard drive but have no installation discs.

The base of the unit has what appears to be an original and undamaged ACER COA for Win 7 Pro but I'm having problems purchasing from ACER the requisite media.

After several online 'support chats' with ACER, I paid approximately 51GBP and received a CD containing only FreeDOS.

Clearly there is something that I am either doing wrong or I'm providing the wrong data.  I have provided the BIOS serial number, info from the Veriton case labels and photo's of the ACER-Microsoft COA.

The Microsoft web site will not help as they say it is the responsibility of ACER as the OEM.  Presumably Microsoft recognise the COA serial number as having come from ACER.  The COA label has ACER clearly on it.

ACER support chat tell me that the machine was originally shipped with FreeDOS but the case label is clearly for Win 7.

No one from ACER has yet claimed that my case COA is not legitimate so I'm at a loss as to how I can provide myself with a legitimate re-install system.

Is it possible to create the full re-install media from my currently running Win 7 OS?  I don't see a way to do this short of taking a ghost copy of thesystem partition.

Any helpful suggestions (short of purchasing a retail copy of an OS) are very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jonathan

Answers

• jcyeandle
    Options

I apologise for this duplicate post.

For anyone with similar troubles there is a duplicate post with some replies in the software portion of the forums.

I guess this post will get removed once it's spotted by an administrator.

Jonathan

• evanpetty12
    evanpetty12 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    To install windows 7 you most of the time have to have a disc unless you can make a system recovery disc in windows 7
  • jcyeandle
    Options

Hello and thanks for taking time to reply....

This for me has been a sorry and cautionary tale which has cost me 50GBP and considerable time but without any gain.

I have learnt not to rely on a legitimate Microsoft COA as a legitimate right to use their OS and certainly not a route to obtaining a re-instal media if you have a problem.

Jonathan