Will Acer AM3450 take AMD FX-8350 as CPU upgrade?

Options
DrPop
DrPop Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I usually build my own rigs from scratch, but was recently given an ACER AM3450 as a trade from someone. Smiley Happy

The exact model number is AM3450-UR12P and it currently has the AMD FX-4100 CPU in it.  The motherboard chipset is the AMD 980G and should be compatible with the newer FX-8350 CPU, but I realize that all depends on if ACER updated the BIOS to handle the newer FX CPUs.

Does anyone know where I could find this information?  I've looked everywhere I could think of online and haven't seemed to find a compatible CPU list for the AM3450.  It could be compatible with every Socket AM3+ CPU of course, but I just wanted to make sure before I purchased the new CPU.

Thank you to anyone for the help!

Sincerely,

Jed

Answers

• DrPop
    DrPop Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just in case anyone ever needs this info, I went ahead and bit the bullet, and it worked.

So yes, the latest BIOS version on these 980G chipset motherboards in the ACER Aspire AM4350 DO support the latest Vishera based AM3+ FX series CPUs, such as the FX-8350. Smiley Happy

• DOA-Batman
    DOA-Batman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

DrPop Thanks for taking the bullet and trying it out but I have one question.  What kind of heatsink/fan are you using with it?  I didn't know if you were using the stock cooler or bought an aftermarket because I don't see how most aftermarkets will fit in the case.  Also, what are you using your system for as to what kind of stress you are puting it under with the cooler?  I plan on some gaming (BF4) & some video editing....