Very wierd front USB port problem with a Veriton X275

Options
Techdude
Techdude Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I've just got myself a Veriton X275. when I got it it had 5 USB ports on the front, one beside the card reader and 4 in two sets of two seperated by audio ports below the card reader. the card reader and USB are one card in a module and go to one set of connections and the four lower ones are two units of vertically stacked twin USB ports on a seperate card and the two outputs on that card in the module (one for each of the stacked USB modules)go to one connector point on the motherboard. When however I got it home I found that only the USB beside the card reader worked the other 4 were broken so I took it back for repair. When I got it back the two on the top row had been blanked with a plug which seems to be an Acer part and only the bottom two were available. I noticed however athough both worked individually if I tried to use both together they stopped working. Eg. I have my mouse plugged into one if I put a thumb drive into the other the thumb drive does not work and my mouse stops working (the same thing happens if i use either of the non functioning upper two USB ports), if I remove the mouse the thumbdrive loads or if I remove the thumb drive I get my mouse function back. If i plug anything into the top row of USB's I do get the ' USB DISCONNECTED SOUND' going off a couple of times. Thinking the shop had bodged the repair I got a new module to fit myself however when I fitted it the same thing happened. I don't understand the complete non function of the upper two USB ports as nothing is recognised if you plug it in to them( they seem to realise that something has been plugged in and have some sort of power coming from them but it seems like it's at very low amps) All the pictures i have seen of the X275 have all four of the USB's available on this lower part. I can only assume that the repair shop could not get them to work either so blanked them with a part from a similar model of Veriton that only had two lower front USB ports. When I got the X275 it was running Windows 10 but i have now downgraded to Windows 7 and installed all the available drivers from Acers support pages. There are no yellow triangles in device manager so all drivers seem to be fine. So does anyone have a clue to what is going on with these USB ports and what can i do to fix this, In all the time working with computers I have never come accross anythin as wierd as this.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

Did the USB ports work when the system was running the Acer OEM Windows 10?

• Techdude
    Options
    No from the moment I got it the USB ports did not work. It was still running Windows 10 when it was returned because 2 of the USB ports in the bottom 4 were visibly broken and only 1 of the other 2 in the bottom was working ( the left hand stack of 2 was visibly broken and only the bottom of the right hand stack worked). It would appear that when I returned it the seller soldered a new stack on the left in the module and blanked the top 2 slots of the left and right stack. They probably couldnt get the top pair to work so blanked them and tested the bottom pair individually and we're satisfied that they worked. I noticed that the 2 bottom ports would not work together, noted that the module had been repaired not replaced and ordered a new module to fit myself. When the new module was fitted the observed problems persisted ( no function from either port at the top of the 2 stacks and the bottom 2 only work if not used together). I then decided to downgrade to the original O/S with a retail version of Win 7 ultimate and install the drivers from Acer support pages. I did this by replaceing the 320Gb HDD with a 500 Gb HDD and clean installed Win 7, I still have the original drive with its Win 10 installation.The problem still persists however. I have as I said changed modules and connecting cables so the problem is unlightly to be with module or cables.
  • Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

If the USB ports did not work from the beginning then we would recommend repair at that point. Not sure why the reseller would do any modifications to the system but if you purchased this new, please contact Acer support for your region to inquire about repair:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• Techdude
    Options
    Unfortunately the x275 is an old model and as it was bought 2nd hand it is unlightly that any warranty exists. To be honest I have spent much more on the new hard drive, internal wifi card, replacement USB module and graphics card that the desktop initially cost so returning the system to the seller isn't an option especially since fitting cards has meant the removal of blanking plates and their warranty seal. It would appear this is either a design problem or more lightly when the original USB ports were broken they damaged the USB bus on the motherboard. I suppose it's my own fault for buying a SFF with almost no room for expansion or addition of drives or peripherals. Thanks for the help anyway.