Veriton X6630G will not upgrade to Windows 10

sorbsbuster
sorbsbuster Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a Veriton X6630G (from early 2014).  I am trying to upgrade it from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10.  The Acer site confirms that they 'will support it with drivers for Windows 10' (although I don't know what that actually means, as there is no link on the page to any driver support, or any Windows 10 upgrade support).

When I try to upgrade, Windows Upgrade tells me that 'The Display is not compatible with Windows 10', and stops.  I changed the display for one that upgraded perfectly to Win 10 the previous day (in case it really was the *display*, and not the Graphics Card they meant was incompatible).  Same failure message.

I uninstalled the Intel graphics driver and let it install the generic Windows driver.  Same failure message.

I downloaded and installed the latest Intel driver for the 4600 - same failure message.

I ran the Intel driver checking utility and installed the recommended driver.  Same failure message.

I checked the Acer Support page for the serial number of my PC and installed the latest graphics driver (even though it said it was an older version that the Intel one I had previously installed).  Same failure message.

Is there a driver I can install that will allow Windows 10 update to proceed?  Why do Acer list the X6630G as 'compatible', but Windows upgrade utility stop it?

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Before upgrading to Windows 10 you need to make sure you run and install Windows Updates. Acer does not have a specific video driver for this model so it would use a resident Windows 10 driver. Since the upgraded program expired on July 29, 2016 you would need to go to Microsoft for the upgrade at this point.

• sorbsbuster

Thank you, Acer-Mary, but I have already updated the Windows 7 installation to be fully-updated.  I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 to get the specific Windows 10 driver, because... Windows 10 installer won't let me upgrade as it says the 'Display is not compatible'.

When you say that 'Acer does not have a specific video driver for this model, does that mean that I cannot go to the Acer website ->Support ->Driver download, and find a video driver for it?

The Acer website specifically lists this model as 'supported by Acer' for Windows 10. Do you mean that an Acer desktop bought 18 months ago cannot be upgraded to Windows 10?

(The offer of the 'free' upgrade date having passed doesn't affect the issue of whether Acer support this PC in upgrading to Windows 10.)

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

This model is listed as eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade. If no specific component driver is posted on our site, this indicates the system would use a resident Windows 10 driver. What exact video card is in the system? Also what is the brand/model of the monitor connected to the system? Has there been any hardware components added or changed to the system since purchase? What indicates that this error is referring to the video card and not the monitor?

• sorbsbuster

Thank you for your help, Acer-Mary.

The machine is standard - nothing has been added or changed.

The (on-board?) video card being used is the Intel HD 4600 as supplied.

I believe that I found a driver for that card on the Acer site.  I downloaded it and installed it (even though it said the installed driver was newer).

I got the same Windows message with either driver.

The compatibility check fails because "The Display is not compatible with Windows 10".  I changed the display for one which was used in a Windows 10 upgrade a few weeks ago and that installation was fine.

Can you confirm if it is the 'Display' or the 'Video card' that is causing the failure?

Thank you for your help.