Veriton M498G Memory upgrade problem

Options
Matin
Matin Member Posts: 5 New User

I'm trying to upgrade my son's 5-year-old Veriton M498G memory from 4 GB to 12 GB now that I've upgaded it to Windows 7 64-bit.

The original 2 GB stick still works fine and the 2 GB stick that I added a while back works fine too (4 GB total).

But when I pull out all the sticks and put in a new 4 GB stick the computer hangs at POST right after the BIO reports 1024 MB of RAM (!). Looks like the BIOS doesn't like the 4 GB stick! Clearing the BIOS didn't help.

Putting the original memory back makes the computer work flawlessly.

I am well aware of memory manufacturer/type compatibility issues.

I've tried 4 different 4 GB memory sticks from 2 diferent sources with no luck.

My questions are:

1. Does the Veriton M498G motherboard and/or BIOS have any limitations regarding the size of the memory module?

2. Am I missing a setup or configuration to let the BIOS see the 4 GB memery stick?

3. Would a newer BIOS help? (the machine is using the original BIOS from 2011)

4. Is there a solution short of the endless trial and error of buying and returning memory sticks?

The system is:

Acer Veriton M498G

Processor: Intel i3

S/N: PSVAQ03005***

Mfg. date: 2001/01/18

Thanks for your help.

Matin

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,061 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Your desktop supports up to 16Gb - DDR3 - 1333MHz (4x4Gb).

1. Original memory modules:
      Spoiler
      KN.4GB0B.006 - DIMM.4GB.DT.DDR3-1333 (Samsung)
      KN.4GB0B.011 - DIMM.4GB.DT.DDR3-1333 (Samsung)
      KN.4GB0H.001 - DIMM.4GB.DT.DDR3-1333 (Unifosa)
    2. Compatible memory modules:
      Transcend - TS512MLK64V3N
    France
  • Matin
    Options

Thank you Sir .....And would that be the ONLY module that would work?

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Crucial memory modules too.

France
  • Matin
    Options

Much obliged.

I'll post my results soon.

• Matin
    Options

I'm happy to report that the memory modules recommended by laurent_14 worked like a charm!

I wasn't able to source the Transcend variety..... Most sellers didn't have them, and a couple who claim they did, backed out....one of them did so even after cashing my payment!

So I went to Crucial and 4 days later I had the goods.

The modules that worked for me come as Part Number: CT5291165 which is a 2x 4GB kit of 2BLS4G3D1609ES2LCO.16FED2....  I have no idea what all those nmbers mean, but I owe it to this forum to share them.

Crucial has a very handy piece of software that will detect your hardware setup and recommend parts.

Mine was guaranteed to work with an Acer Veriton M498G and it did.

I highly recommend you use that software.

Thanks again laurent_14.

Matin

• laurent_14
    Options

You're welcome

... and thanks for your feedback!

France
  • Matin
    Options

Oh!...... and one more thing:

Even though the new memory was recognized by the machine and things worked relatively well at first, from time to time we had this rash of unexpected crashes complete with the dreaded BSOD.

At first we thought it was conflict problem with a few of the drivers, and the new graphics card was the main suspect.

But most of the error messages had curious memory addresses.  On a hunch, we removed the "old" original memeory sticks and ..... Voila!... All the problems disppeared.  Not only that, the machine picked up some speed!

So it turns out that the slower "old" memory and the faster "new" memory didn't get along!

We ordered another pair of 4GB sticks from Crucial and the set up is now very healthy and happy running with 16GB of RAM on the motherboard and another 4GB on the graphics card.

Moral of the story?.... It makes sense to get rid of the old, eventhough you have to pay a few more bucks for the new!