janluc
janluc Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello folks,
I have an acer m2631  with:

MB: H81H3-AM ;

chipset: AMI Aptio DT2006-DN13;

CPU: Intel i3-4130;

integrated VGA.
After trying to copy my HDD to an SSD, the PC didn't start anymore.
In particular, the PC hangs up during POST to ACER logo with this words : "Press Del to Enter Setup".
The great thing is that I cannot enter the bios and therefore cannot longer change any options.
I have already tried to:
 1) reset via jumper or by removing the battery;
 2) disconnected each device (including HDD), download the BIOS from ACER, renaming the ROM file in AMIBOOT.ROM, created a USB formatted with "HP utility tools", added the file and tried to start the PC with CTRL + HOME (HOME only too)
 3) download the BIOS from ACER renaming the ROM file in AMIBOOT.ROM , created a CD with this file and tried to start the PC with CTRL + HOME (HOME only too)
 4) adding a graphics card and tried as in steps 2 and 3

None of the solutions seems to work

Can you help me before throw the MB to the nettles?
thank you in advance

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

so now you have HDD and SSD connected with the same OS partitions?

how you copied HDD to SSD?

have you tried to boot from HDD only?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • janluc
    Options

thanks for reply IronFly

maybe i have not explained so well as i have should.

Firstly i have cloned my hdd with Acronis CD, to an ssd,

then i disconnected the hdd living the ssd in, attached to a sata port;

at this point my pc have started to not function.

The main symptom is that it hangs immediatly at the power on of the system  (during or maybe soonly after the POST phase), displayng only the ACER logo  and the words: "press del to enter bios setup".

I have tried to boot with and without any peripheral (HDD - the original one -, SSD, CD, USB floppy, and so on) but the result is always the same: the boot ends with the Acer logo and the words above.

I have press the ESC key too, but the screen turns into black without giving me any other informations.

If I press the delete key the system says: "entering the bios..." and it hangs up.

For major details I can say that:

if you try to unplug the RAM sticks, the system beeps two or more times (sorry i don't remember);

I can't enter the BIOS setup;

I tried to follow many procedures or suggestions taken from internet, to recovery the bios firmware, but none of that has helped me to solve the problem.

So my questions is:

1) maybe some parts of the bios firmware resided into the HDD and I have losts in someway?

2) maybe I'm wrong to thniking that the BIOS has been corrupted?

3) is there any exactly procedure to forcing the system to read the firmware contained in a USB disk (floppy, USB pen drive or other) or any other mass storage drive?

I hope this time I have been able to explain better what I've done and what I'm trying to figure out.

Any suggestions will appreciated...

• IronFly
    Options

BIOS is only on motherboard CMOS, so no HDD or SSD involved.

let's try again one thing:

unplug the AC power cable, open the case and take off the CMOS battery.

unplug DVD/CD/HDD/SSD

press the power button twice and after 5 minutes put the CMOS battery back and plug the AC power cable

without connecting DVD etc etc, power on your PC and don't press any key.

let me know what happens.

• janluc
    Options

Tks.

I'm trying....

• janluc
    Options

I've tried, the resuts are the same as decribed before (nothing more nothing less)

Robot Sad

• IronFly
    Options

probably is a corrupted BIOS as you stated but i can't help you any further, sorry. Smiley Sad