Upgrading Veriton x275 Memory

Options
nate302
nate302 Member Posts: 2 New User

We're trying to upgrade memory in some of our workstations at a local small business. We have about 100 Acer machines (models vary) but generally include the x275 for our older machines.

We've bought (through online vendors) memory from Corsair and Gskill (as their customer support is great as well as the products) however, none of the memory has been compatible. We've bought 2gb (single) and 4gb (dual) channel kits to no avail. (All memory sticks were DDR3 PC3-10600 and the same voltage / similar timings as the OEM chips.)

I've looked through the online documentation for the Veriton x275 (to which there is very little in the way of technical specifications or a qualified vendors list) and I've found absolutely no information on what the maximum supported memory is, the recommended voltage, timings, etc.

Has anyone had issues upgrading these desktops and know what is best for the machines OR does someone have access to the proper documentation that would shed some light on what we should buy? My only guess is perhaps the new memory is high density and these machines may only support low density sticks.

Best Answer

• nate302
    Answer ✓
    Options

As it turns out, it was indeed a problem with the memory being high density. We ended up ordering memory from crucial, and have had no problems what so ever. Even though the memory was the exact same timings, voltage and rated for the same speed, the difference between them was the density of the modules themselves. The older boards do not like the high density memory (8 chips instead of say 4 for the same size) yet the same high density version worked in newer models.

Answers

• nor750ton
    nor750ton Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I don't know the machine. Mine is the M5100 in an Extensa E210.

Are you aware of the memory restrictions in Windows?

My response, from Acer, to my problem is that the CPU is a controlling factor. If you have a single core processor you can only use 1 line. I presume that means a colour, of which I have both blue(primary) and yellow(secondary).

Hope this helps.

• nate302
    Answer ✓
    Options

As it turns out, it was indeed a problem with the memory being high density. We ended up ordering memory from crucial, and have had no problems what so ever. Even though the memory was the exact same timings, voltage and rated for the same speed, the difference between them was the density of the modules themselves. The older boards do not like the high density memory (8 chips instead of say 4 for the same size) yet the same high density version worked in newer models.

• Piper37
    Piper37 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I know your pain.  I have gone through the same process including the Crucial route (same DDR3-10600) without success.  

Before trying the Crucial memory, I had tried a company called A-Tech which also sent me the DDR3-10600 as crucial. 

However A-tech emailed to ask if the two sticks had worked.  I replied to them with what steps I had tried and that their memory did not work, Just a continuous loud beep.  At that point they asked me to give them all the info I could find on the original 2 GB stick which I did. 

They responded with the following:  The real solution should be:

4GB kit 2x2GB PC3-8500 NON-ECC DIMM

Which can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/IdeaCentre-5316-2AU-5316-2CU-PC3-8500--Tech/dp/B00N2D6CCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470254666&sr=8-2&keywords=4GB+kit+2x2GB+PC3-8500+DIMM+atech

They sent me 2 replacement sticks which arrived today. installed and they work fine.  No chg and I am sending back the two sticks that didn't work.  I am wondering if the original memory stick had been mislabeled or ??

Now, I just need to replace the hard drive with a 128GB or 256GB SSD and it will make a fine spare machine for me.

I am off to communicate with Crucial and see if they will let me return the 4GB kit they had sent to me.

Good luck