Transferring data to another computer

Options
jbolster
jbolster Member Posts: 2 New User

Yesterday I dropped my wife's Acer desktop and the glass screen broke.  Luckily I can still get into the system.  I had also purchased this PC at the same time and would like to give my wife that PC. 

How can I transfer EVERYTHING on her PC, including apps to my PC?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

applications must be re-isntalled, no way to just transfer them.

about personal data as pictures/music and so on, the easiest way is to copy everything to an USB flash media or external HDD, then plug that USB flash media or external HDD to the new desktop and copy to it all the files.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If the two PCs are identical, you might be able to clone the drive.  But that would probably require you to call Microsoft and explain the situation regarding license.  I've heard of people doing that but can't say for sure you would have success.

I don't know anyone personally that has done that, but have just *heard* about it.  I do know that Windows 8 license is unique...not like Windows 7 license.  Windows 8.1 license terms is more like Windows 7 (I think).  Anyway, I don't know enough about it to even try to articulate the legal differences between the licenses.  So I would probably follow IronFly's suggestion instead of going through the hassle.

I'm not an Acer employee.