Terrible audio latency problem on XC-105

Options
dusdat
dusdat Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi all,

Half year ago I purchased a Acer XC-105 with Win 8, later updated to 8.1.

The problem is, I listen to a lot of music, but for moths now I suffer from terrible latency problems causing skipping and cracking music whenever I do anything on the desktop like browsing, opening a (very small) program or sometimes if I don't even do nothing at all. 

I searched for the solution, and what is most suggested:

updating audio & other important drivers. But the thing is the audio wont work at all if I donwload the latest Realtek Audio Driver from the Realtek site.

The only driver that's compatible is the one from the Acer site itself. If I refresh the installation with the original driverfiles from Acer the latency audio issues go away very briefly, only to come back again after a few days.

My best guess for this problem: the drivers on the Acer site were originally designed for win 8, not for 8.1.

Can anybody help me? Because the audio skipping and cracking is very annoying (especially because I mainly use the desktop for audio!)

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You need to update chipset drivers too, not only audio drivers.

Please check also CPU usage and HDD usage, this 2 can let audio skip and crackle.

what's your audio player?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dusdat
    Options

Chipset driver update from Acer or from AMD?

I'm using Windows Media player & VLC

• dusdat
    Options

Ok I updated the AMD chipset driver from the AMD site, after updating I managed to update the Realtek Audio Driver (also from the Realtek site itself). I never managed to do that, so thank you for that advice!

The audio is working flawless now, but I'm wondering if the skipping/cracking will return after a few days (like it always did after I refreshed the old Realtek driver install)... But for as of this moment: perfect!

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
  • jaclou
    jaclou Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

I have read your problem and want you to reply in 5 days about the situation. Can you do that, please?Thanks.

• dusdat
    Options

Why 5 days?

• jaclou
    Options

Because I want to know if your latency problem is now resolved with  the updates you did. For good. Not just for 83 hours.Thanks for your reply!

• dusdat
    Options

So far so good, no crackling/skipping at all!

• jaclou
    Options

So your updates from the sites(AMD,REALTEK) were the good ones, not the one you did at the site of the manufacturer of your notebbook(ACER)? Thanks for your answers!

• IronFly
    Options

Good to hear. Smiley Very Happy

• dusdat
    Options

I cheered too soon. The same problem returned 2 days ago, i.e. updating the drivers from the manufucters site didn't solve the problem unfortunately.

I really regret buying an acer desktop, wish I could return this decision Smiley Sad, because it seems like the problem is difficult to solve...

• IronFly
    Options

can you try to play the same files with a different player?

try foobar:

http://www.foobar2000.org/download

• jaclou
    Options

You're not alone! I have the same crackling & skipping all the time for 12 months now! And I buy a new one notebook 2 weeks ago, and it is the same with this one when I stream music or movies from the net...I think we're not rich enough for the best quality...and not only for the pc's but also for the web access...I fear that apple has a lot of problem too. If, by chance, you find a solution: please, let me know! Happy new year!

• jaclou
    Options

I think this is a problem with STREAMING. Isn't it, Mister Terrible audio latency? I forgot your pseudo, excuse me.

• dusdat
    Options

Mister terrible audio latency Smiley Very Happy I lolled Smiley Wink

Too bad to hear that your new one has the same issues, but do you really think Apple products suffer from the same problem? I always was convinced Apple didn't have this problem...

I'm gonna try the foobar player though, but my hopes aren't high to be honest...

• jaclou
    Options

I don't REALLY think that... for apple. But why try foobar if your audio problem is related to STREAMING?

• IronFly
    Options

Becasue Foobar handle audio in a different way of WMP, even on streaming buffers.

User also didn't mention nothing about web streaming.

if it's something related to web streaming, can be worth a try ethernet or wifi drivers update; if the problem is related to your network cable, you can check it doing some pings from command prompt.

but since dusdat mentioned latency during browser loading......in my opinion can by CPU at 100% or HDD swapping (you can try to disable virtual memory if your PC has over 4GB of ram)

can be also system protection creating a new recovery point, windows caching....ando so on....many things related to HDD and CPU sage.

• jaclou
    Options

Thank you for your answer. How to do some pings with cmd?

• IronFly
    Options

open a command prompt

then type

ping google.com -t

press return

let it go for 30-40 seconds and check if your ping is stable or any missing packet

press CTRL + C

to stop pinging

• jaclou
    Options

The ping test is stable with no paket missing.I'll try ethernet driver.