My NumLock is off on bootup, although CMOS setup screen says to start with it on.

deke46825
deke46825 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the Aspire XC-603G I bought a week ago.

Do I need to flash a new BIOS, or what?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

If you have an USB keyboard, try to connect it to another USB port, boot to windows and then enable Num lock.

shutdown your OS and power on, check if num lock is on or off

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • deke46825

Thanks for the suggestion, IronFly, but no joy.

I was using the USB ports next to ethernet port for mouse and keyboard,  I swapped them, then tried KB in other ports, fore and aft.  Finally, I ubplugged both the mouse and keyboard thaqt came with the PC and plugged in the dongle for a new Logitech MK520 wireless mouse and keyboard, in each of the two ports next to ethernet, another rear USB port, and a front port.  Nothing works.

I'm going to try setting CMOS to start with NumLock off, then restart, and them try it again with the CMOS set correctly.  I had a problem with streaming Amazon instant video, which was resolved by uninstalling Silverlight, then reinstalling it from the same download.  Sometimes software gets confused.  But my hopes are not high.  If it fixes it, I'll report back; if not, my ptoblem continues.

I don't know why this bugs me so much. It's not THAT big a deal to tap the NumLock switch before I enter the PIN to log on, but it's like being married to someone who squeezes the toothpaste from the middle and then leaves the cap off. It's hust not right!

• IronFly

ok, i think that BIOS flashing can be worth a try:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P21.B1_A_A.zip?acerid=635513515052518329&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20XC-603G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

after flash and successfull reboot, i would suggest you to boot to BIOS again and "load defaults" or "load optimal settings", save and exit

then check if num lock will work or BIOS setting for that is enabled.

• deke46825

Yeah, switching the CMOS, restarting, switching it back and restarting, brought no glimmer of happiness.

• deke46825

Is therre supposed to be some sort of "Hurray, it worked!" message?

When the DOS BOX window closed, I assumed that it was done.

Nope, it didn'y work.  I tried setting off "silent boot" to make sure CMOS was being written to.  It is.  (I remember waiting forever for POST to check 640KB of DRAM on an 8088.  Boy, bootup is FAST!)

I'm about ready to decide this is a "can't be fixed" problem.

• IronFly
    Very strange issue.