My Acer X4620G Desktop won't boot. It beeps 3 times, pauses 0,1 sec., beeps 3 times again and reboot

Mauri
Mauri Member Posts: 3 New User

After randomly 1 to 20 attempts, it boots fine and works very well until the next day. Can't find any documentation about this POST code.  I isolated the main board from any kind of peripherals, only power supply, cpu and ram left. Switched the ram with another pc, just to exclude it from the possible cause of the issue.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

M.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the only 3 beeps code i find (1 long and 2 shorts) is:

BIOS damaged. BIOS is damaged, BIOS POST jumps to Boot Block to execute the default procedures

so maybe, when it boots ok, try to flash BIOS again:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4390;-;Veriton%20X4620G

Check CMOS battery voltage too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mauri

Thaks IronFly for the reply.

Cmos Battery is new, just replaced (forgot to mention before ;-)  )

Beeps are two packs of three, all the same in lenght and tone, separated by a very short pause.

Anyway i will try to flash the BIOS now, and i will also try to replace the power supply, because i found one almost identical in a very similar PC

M.

• IronFly

i don't have any reference on 3 beeps of the same lenght...so go for a spare power supply and a BIOS flash.

• Mauri

Good news, problem solved flashing the BIOS. Apparently the six beeps undocumented error code has something to do with the boot section of the BIOS. It becomes nearly unreadable, so the PC tryes many times to read it, rebooting every time, until it's capable to achieve a good start :-)

BTW, i tried Acer support chat and mail service. One told me to recover the operating system at its original state (!) and the second to change the main board. Just FYI.

M.

• IronFly
    Good to hear it.