Motherboard replaced now front USB ports, media card reader and bluetooth not working.

geenooo
geenooo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

The motherboard on my acer aspire AX3-100-EF100 was replaced under warranty. My system is running windows 8.1. The usb ports (2x2.0 and 2x3.0) at the front of the computer as well as the media card reader and my built-in bluetooth does not work. I've upgraded the chipset drivers to version 8.981.0.0000. My BIOS version is P11-A3, 2012-11-01. It's almost like the front end of the computer is off. Nothing shows up in device manager and nothing happens when i plug in a flash stick. Did the technician miss a step when installing the new motherboard?

Answers

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Front USB ports and Card readers usually have flying leads which connect to headers on the edge of the motherboard.  The fact that your front ports don't even register suggests that they are just not been connected up. 

I suggest you turn off the computer, switch off the power at the mains socket but leave the plug still inserted.  This will offer some protection against static electricity when you take the side of the case off.  Now have a grope around inside and see if you can determine if the wires likely to come from the front area by the USB ports are loose.  The connector for a USB lead is usually black or blue and has ten holes with one blanked off.  This ensures correct orientation when connecting to one of the USB motherboard headers.  You may find there are several headers marked USB on the motherboard.  Hopefully there will be distinguishing marks between USB-2 and USB-3  -  your motherboard user manual may indicate which is which.  I'd expect USB-3 to be blue.

Hope that helps...

• geenooo
    geenooo Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the leads and everything was plugged in. I took the unit back to Futureshop and they tested the USB pack on the front of the tower. It works so they said it was the motherboard. This is the 2nd board in less than 1 year. This replacement board is not under waranty because I failed to return it within 90 days. My assumption was that if the 1st board had a 1 year warranty then why not the replacement(new) board? Stupid me for not checking every USB port when I got the computer back, I guess I thought the tech at Futureshop would have checked everything before before giving it a clean bill of health. Now off to buy a USB hub!

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.  It's a pain when hardware fails that quickly, and it's not checked out before you get it.  USB hub is the best option  -  suggest you choose a powered one to get maximum benefit.