Losing internet connect during sleep

Options
Lugwalker
Lugwalker Member Posts: 13 New User

Every computer or laptop I've owned kept its internet connection when it went into sleep mode.  When I woke up the computers I alway had the internet still there.

When I bought my new Acer Veriton X4620G a year or two ago the first thing I noticed was that whenever I woke the computer up from sleep after I had left it for a while, its internet connection would be gone.  This would require me to click on the internet icon in the taskbar to get connected again.  This issue has continued to this day.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my Acer Veriton to keep its connection to the internet when it goes into sleep mode?  It's such a nuisance to have to click on the network icon and wait for it to reconnect every time.  Neither my wife's laptop or my own laptop or any othe computer I've had do this.

Why is this happening with my Veriton?  

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Lugwalker
    Answer ✓
    Options

The only thing which works for me is leaving my email client and my browser open.  When I wake the computer from sleep after an absence the connection is still there.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you have windows 8

press windows key logo +x

select power options

if you have windows 7

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

once in device manager (if you are using ethernet cable)

click on network adapters

double click on your adapter

click on power management

untick allow computer to turn off this device, click OK

close all the windows and check if it still cuts connection

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Lugwalker
    Options

Thanks, Ace, but all the boxes are already unticked in Power Management.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

can you please post the network adapter model?

• Lugwalker
    Options

Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet adapter

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/16223-unable-wake-sleep-state-remote-desktop.html

The person in the link was trying to do remote desktop, so some of the things he/she did won't apply to you.  

• Lugwalker
    Answer ✓
    Options

The only thing which works for me is leaving my email client and my browser open.  When I wake the computer from sleep after an absence the connection is still there.

• tontytots
    tontytots Member Posts: 77 Troubleshooter
    Options

surely this cannot be too much out of your way. S-mode is a cause of power loss to the nat grid, and i recommend turning it off when not in use. i suppose you could switch powersave off, but i know little of computers - except for argument.