I have an older Acer Aspire m5620 I'm needing a recovery cd for..is this possible?

Options
swm1963
swm1963 Member Posts: 8 New User

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/#_ga=1.157815354.1650522051.1412414371

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • swm1963
    Options

I tried that to no avail..my computer isn't in their system..it's about 8-9 years old but still works like it did when i bought it!

• IronFly
    Options

Probably you can make the recovery DVD by yourself if you didn't delete the original Acer recovery partition, what's your OS?

• swm1963
    Options

Windows Xp...I wiped the recovery partition as soon as i bought it!

• IronFly
    Options

Ok, so... the only solution is to find a Windows XP original CD and use the serial key on the sticker to authenticate; i don't think Acer still has XP installation media, since windows XP support is ended.

• swm1963
    Options

It came with windows Vista and at the time nobody cared much for Vista and XP still rocked!

• swm1963
    Options

I guess i can just download linux!

• IronFly
    Options

if you don't need windows enviroment, Ubuntu can be a good choice.

• laurent_14
    Options

@IronFly: If he have always the XP lisence key, the Iso files (XP SP1,SP2,SP3) are another solution!

France
  • IronFly
    Options

Yes, i know but i can't give him links about .iso, i told him to find an original XP CD ( i didn't specify how). Smiley Happy

• swm1963
    Options

I have XP cd..I need Vista! If I reinstall XP I won't receive updates since microsoft no longer supports it!

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello swm1963,

You wrote: "If I reinstall XP I won't receive updates since microsoft no longer supports it!"

It's wrong. One of my computers works under Windows XP Pro. Few time ago, I re-installed the OS and I done the updates with the WU website. Any problem.

There is still 30% computers working under Windows XP in the world. That's a big problem for MS.

Otherwise, you can easily find the ISO files of Windows Vista SP1 and SP2 or buy the eRecovery media (cheaper - 2 DVDs).

France
  • swm1963
    Options

Erecovery is for emachines right? Iso's are illegal  I do have a legal key for vista!

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Erecovery is for emachines right?

No, you can order the eRecovery Media from your Acer store or your Acer customer service (US example).

Iso's are illegal?

No, MVP (Microsoft Expert) indicate unofficial links to download the ISO files (French example).

I do have a legal key for vista! Of course, it is located on the label sticked on your desktop.

France
  • IronFly
    Options

Yes, i confirm what Laurent said.

downloading an ISO is not illegal, installing and using an OS without having a legal product key or purchasing a license is against the law.

• laurent_14
    Options

@IronFly: When will you have 3 stars? You deserve them really! Smiley Very Happy

France
  • IronFly
    Options

laurent_14 wrote:

@IronFly: When will you have 3 stars? You deserve them really! Smiley Very Happy

Dunno, need to ask to the admins.

• swm1963
    Options

Okay thank you! I will look into it!