I have an aspire m3970 that will not connect to the internet.

Options
jetman
jetman Member Posts: 19 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

It will not connect wired or wireless. I tried two other other laptops with windows 7 that both will connect wireless. An AT&T technician was sent to my home to check it out. He verfied that my problem is with the desktop computer after troubleshooting the desk top and seeing the laptps were connecting. Since the desktop has a 802.11n wireless LAN card that came with the computer, I need some troubleshooting assistance, since a wired connection is also affected. Thank you. 

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

i'm sorry about your personal data, but....you can always learn something from errors and.....a backup is never a bad thing. Smiley Wink

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Where you see the Yellow exclamation mark, double click it, choose "Details" tab, from the dropdown menu choose "HardwareIDs", click the first string and copy/paste it here.

• jetman
    Options

Thanks IronFly for the reply. I wish your suggestion could have been that easy, however, the device manager never did, and still does show any exclamation marks. I am still hoping for the best. Your effort is appreciated.....jetman   

• IronFly
    Options

OK, but ethernet adapter and wifi adapter are listed on device manager?

are they available on network and sharing center/change adapter settings?

can you take a screenshot of both?

• jetman
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Although the AT&T technician that was dispatched to my home, and performed a complete check of my system, I took the time to review your suggestions. I was not able to locate the problem that is telling me I am not connected to the network, even though it says I am. I am using a laptop that is allowing me to communicate with the forum. The desktop with the problem cannot give me an option to provide a screen shot. This problem is needing more then I can handle at this point. Again, I appreciate your effort......Jetman

• IronFly
    Options

printscreen key and open paint, copy and paste.

save the screenshot in  a USB pen and then transfer it to your laptop and upload it here.

or use a smartphone to take a picture, then transfer it to your laptop via USB and upload it here.

without a screenshot of the network connection, it's very hard to give you any help.

checking the lan connection from your desktop to your modem/router, the connection icon near clock and date, tells that no connection is available?

are you using DHCP  or manual IP settings?

need more infos...

• jetman
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Were do I find the option to attach screen shots to this post.

• IronFly
    Options

screen.jpg

• jetman
    Options

network & sharing.pngnetwork connection.pngdevice manager.png

• jetman
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Sorry for the delay. I was having wireless problems on this laptop. While I was attempting to post a message to you, the wireless connection would frequently drop off, and after a short period off time it would come back on. While it was off I clicked on the wireless icon and it showed "unidentified network, not connected" and eventually wireless would pop back on. For a couple of days I struggled to complete a message, only to lose it when the wireless connection reappeared. Today, I connected an ethernet cable to the router/modem and this laptop. To see if I was able to attach the screen shots on the previous post. I am happy to    get this far in an effort to get the desktop working. You asked that I check the Lan connection. A Lan card is plugged into the motherboard. On the external side of the case, at the Lan board connection, is a 3 inch antenna that can rotate manually. Nothing was never disturb involving the Lan card. You asked if I was usuing DHCP or manual IP address. I am assuming it is DHCP. If after reviewing the screenshots and this post please let me know if there is anything thing else. I was wondering if I removed the Lan card to see if the wired connection could be reestablished. Thanks for your help........Jetman  

• IronFly
    Options

looking at the screenshots, your wifi connection can't establish IP for the desktop so...

can you plese take a screenshot of wifi details?

(the details button on the second screenshot)

• jetman
    Options

Hi IronFly,

I attempted to perform an ipconfig which did not work due to faults listed in this scren shot. I will need some help on resolving this problem as we progress to solve the original problem. Also notice in this screen shot is a partial view on my desktop, with the network connection status window super imposed on the desktop. This is not my normal looking desktop, as the normal one cannot be displayed while this one is showing. I tried to close the window, however, it will not go away.

IP Config 2.png

• IronFly
    Options

multiple issues are not good.

at this point i would suggest you a factory reset, remember to backup your data before do it.

you can use Acer erecovery software if available on your system or at boot press ALT+F10 and follow on screen instructions.

• jetman
    Options

Hello IronFly,

Well, I want to thank you for your persistent advice in an effort to solve my problem. Basically, I was getting to the point, that my problem was to complex, when you advised that multiple problems were not good, where as you suggested to perform a recovery action. You did get us to the point of knowing the cause of the problem, and I agreed with your suggestion. As it turn out, i attempted to recovery the OS only, which would have kept all my data, pics, etc., intact. After at least four attempts that each failed to complete my request, I was forced to do a complete restore, only to lose everything on th hdd, as I was unable to even do a backup. The system is now back to normal, solving the original problem. Thanks again for all your help...Jetman 

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

i'm sorry about your personal data, but....you can always learn something from errors and.....a backup is never a bad thing. Smiley Wink