I am new and my acer desktop is out of warranty. need to upgrade. I have windows vista

ameliah
ameliah Member Posts: 1 New User

I cannot install any new software or browsers because I need to upgrade.  where can I go to upgrade for free?  I need to install a virus application and it wont let me do it.  tysm for any help  I have windows vista with the 2 service packs installed

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

I assume you are wishing to upgrade your OS. As far as I am aware there are no free upgrade paths available.
    You should also bear in mind that, should you choose to purchase a new OS, there may not be drivers available for your hardware. This would need further investigation. You can check Windows 7 compatibility here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/D/95D3883A-00A2-4A8A-A979-48D5AB9B1112/Windows7UpgradeAdvisorSetup.exe

I am led to believe that upgrading from Vista to Windows 8 should not be a problem (but the driver issue could well be so would need checking just as for Windows 7).

The only reason I can imagine for not being able to install an AV app is that you have an infection that is preventing it. I would suggest you contact the AV company to seek assistance as they may well have a 'cleaner' that, once run,  will allow you to install.