Excel and Word don't start on my Acer Aspire X3950 with Windows 7. Office Starter fails.

Options
TDinCA
TDinCA Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

Has worked fine for years, but now, attempting to open an Excel file, I get Application Virtualization Client service is not running. Microsoft says uninstall Office Starter, then run Office and it will ask if I want to install Office Starter. Fair enough, but the uninstall of Office Starter - English fails. This is Windows 7 with a bunch of patches recently installed. I rolled back to the oldest restore point, but that made no difference. All other programs on this Acer Aspire X3950 are running just fine.  Just Excel and Word not starting, same error message.

Also got a Click-2-Run failure.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

Type "services.msc" in your start menu search window. At the top of the start menu, Right click on the resulting "hit" and select "Run as Administrator".

Scan through the list of services to find " Application Virtualization Client". Assuming it is not running, right click on it and select Properties.

If the status is not "started", click on the Start button.
    If the "Startup Type" is not "Automatic", select that from the drop down list.

Do the same for the " Application Virtualization Service Agent".

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• TDinCA
    Options

Attempt to start Application Virtualization Clietn by this method gives this error: Windows could not start the Application Cirtualization Client service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

• Sharanji
    Options

Did you purchase Office 2010 suite or is Office 2010 starter preinstalled on the computer?

If you have purchased Office 2010 and then installed as Click-To-Run then you may run the 'Fix It' tool FixIT Tool

This will remove all the installed components of Office 2010 from the machine.

Note: Before running the ‘fix it’ tool make sure that you have the installation source and the product key to reinstall Office.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Note: If you are using Windows 64 bit operating system, save the ‘Fix it’ on desktop before running it.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• TDinCA
    Options

Acer preinstalled Office. I don't have a product key. I never bought the full version. Starter versions have had all the features I've needed -- so far.

• TDinCA
    Options

Looking more and more like I'll need to use the recovery CDs. I have them, but afraid of loosing bookmarks in browser, installed programs like Skype, TaxAct, and who knows what else.  Office Starter is Microsoft's, but Acer seems the most likely place to get help fixing it.

• MikeGSA
    MikeGSA Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi Sharanji,
    I picked up on your advise to TDinCA as his post described perfectly my problem. (Except that my machine is an ACER one model 722 but it also came with MS Office starter pre-loaded, with Windows 7.) The error was the same each time that I tried to open a Word or Excel Document, ie., App. Virt. Client. service is not running. This began to happen after I used Avast Clean Up and was encouraged to "put to sleep", some of the  Start up programs that it said were slowing down my computor. Avast support could only suggest that I re-instal their Antivirus program as a start. MS community had so many "solutions" that I didn't know which way to go, then I found your post above.
    I opened Start, typed in services. msc  but the option to Run as Administrator only offered " Do you want this program to make changes to your computor." Hit "yes (or accept)". Nothing else popped up. I thought OK,  end of the line. Now what?
    I went back into search mode for services.msc. Behold! 3 options were offered one of which was Component Services, right click and now displayed is a long list of applications, including the Virtualization Client and Agent. Status:- disabled.!! Choose start automatically  for both and Apply. Bingo! Excel came up without even the need to shut down my computor.

So I'm up and running again but very much doubt that I would be if I had followed other's advise. As my experience was a little different to what I expected from your post above, I thought it might be of interest to others facing a similar situation. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. MikeGSA 
  • Sharanji
    Options
    Hi MikeGSA
    Nice to see you back after a long time :)
    I appreciate your time and efforts in resolving this issue.

Please select "Accept Answer" if your issue is resolved so that it would be helpful for other to find it.
  • thanks
    thanks Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I don't own an acer (asus - windows 10) but I created an account just to say thank you for the info - it worked perfectly except that I did have to restart my laptop. To anyone else looking for a solution that doesn't involve uninstalling/reinstalling office starter (good luck with that) or anything else overly complicated, this worked for me! Thanks again
  • knight311
    knight311 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I too am having the issue of not being able to run any Microsoft Office programs. And somehow I also had a copy of Avast loaded and running on my computer, it must have loaded itself at some point and I was not aware. I have sinceThe following snippet is the actual error:

I have tried doing as the message asks by repairing in Control Panel, but then I get the following messages:

When I click "Yes" on the above, I get"

I have a good internet connection. 

I tried the solution that Sharanji had mentioned, but my settings already come up as "Started" for both the "Application Virtualization Client" and "Application Virtualization Service Agent".

Microsoft was pre-loaded and I also can't locate the original disks. I am running Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thank you!