Drives Disappear

Options
Wizop
Wizop Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have two ethernet drives, one of which is always working, and one of which disappears.  I've always thought the problem was with the Iomega drive but today I tried to copy a number of disks to my cd/dvd drive and twice in the middle of a copy routine the copy software that came with the computer stopped working and when I checked under Computer the drive was gone. This is exactly what happens with my external drive so now I think the problem is in the computer.  The OS is Vista Premium.  Any ideas?

Answers

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Options

Check under Device Manager to see if the hardware has power saving enabled.  If yes, try disabling that option.

• Wizop
    Options

Are you sure you meant Device Manager?  The power settings I'm aware of are in the Control Panel and I've checked to be sure the hard drives are never powering down.  This happens both with an external drive connected via ethernet and the internal cd drive.

• Spartan1
    Spartan1 Member Posts: 36

Tinkerer

Options

You mentioned Ethernet, so I'd suggest checking the power management (if any) of the network card/adaptor.  You'll find this in Device Manager.

• Wizop
    Options

Found it.  I now have it set so that the computer can not turn off the NIC to save power.  The DVD doesn't have that option but the problem there may be in the NTI Software.  I've sent a message to their tech support in case there is a known problem there.  I'll see if the external drive does better tomorrow and report back.

• Wizop
    Options

It appears that it is two separate problems.  The disappearing dvd drives seems to have been an interaction between the NTI Media Maker Software and AVG.  Turning off AVG allowed my to copy disks without the drive disappearing midway through.  That means the disappearing Iomega network drive is probably an Iomega problem, but if anyone has had a similar issue, I'd like to know about it.