DA220HQL Wi-Fi Connection Problem

Options
fingaluna
fingaluna Member Posts: 4 New User

Afternoon All,

I have the 21.5" Acer Smart Display DA220HQL.

I am having difficulty connecting to my home Wi-Fi; the compuer keeps cycling between "Connecting" and "Disconnected". I CAN get the Smart Display to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (no encryption) from my Note II Smartphone.

Some notes:

• I have verified that the password is correct.
  • I have tried etering the password in UPPERCASE, but this did not help.
  • I have the Smart Display quite close to the Wi-Fi Router.
  • I have tried a hard-reset on the Smart Display.
  • I have tried resetting my router and setting it up again with a different SSID and no security - no effect.
  • The Smart Display does work with Ethernet.
  • I have tried to connect with the Ethernet cable disconnected - Did not help.
  • My Wi-Fi Router is a 2Wire.
  • Other Windows/Linux/Android devices can connect to my home Wi-Fi without any issue.
  • Someone had suggested that I try connecting to an Open Wi-Fi signal, then switch to my home Wi-Fi. This did not work.

It is clear that my Router functions well with other devices.

It is clear that my Smart Display CAN use Wi-Fi (via my Smartphone).

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Are there any known incompatabilities between the Smart Display and specific Routers?

Thanks~!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

OS?

have you tried to update the wifi drivers on your pc?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • fingaluna
    Options
    Hi Ironfly,

Thanks for the advice.

The OS on the Acer Smart Display is Android (factory installed).

I'm not sure if I can update the drivers with an APK from a more recent version of Android, but I might look that up...

Cheers
  • IronFly
    Options

Oh it's the android AIO, sorry.

mmmm

what's your router brand?

Have you checked if any system update is available?

• fingaluna
    Options

Hi Ironfly,

Yes, I have run the latest update.

The Router is a 2Wire 2701HG-G.

Thanks for your help.

• andy7734
    andy7734 Member Posts: 36 New User
    Options

I read that your DA220HQL,  DOES work with ETHERNET.

I have plugged my cable in & cannot figure out how I then input my IPv4 address, subnet mask, gateway & DNS server numbers. Maybe you can tell me how to do it correctly. I've tried the drop downs on mostof the lines & still cannot find where to put all 4 or 5 groups of numbers in.

I may be looking directly at the right spots but the label may be called something I do not recognize or understand what I may have to do.

I.E. In the settings under  Wireless & Networks.

Should I leave the Wi-Fi on if I'm trying to use the ETHERNET port?

When I click on ETHERNET I get two lines in the next menu. A MAC ADDRESS & an IP ADDRESS. I do not know anything about the MAC ADDRESS. And the IP ADDRESS says "Unsuccessfull."  Is this where I put the IPv4 address numbers in at? & how do I do it, if this the correct line for it? When I turn the Wi-Fi off, the ETHERNET then trys "Obtaining " the address. Even with the cable plugged in to the ETHERNET port it always returns with "Unsuccessful". I think this is the correct line but I cannot figure out a way to manually input the number. Is this the correct spot & can it be done manually? If so, How?

When I go to "MORE" the submenu shows three lines, VPN, TETHERING & PORTABLE HOTSPOT & WAKEUP ON LAN. With my desktop PC I input everything as a LAN connection, so I wonder if this should be switched to ON. I do not have a router, so I unplug the cable from the desktop & move it to the DA220HQL port & the ETHERNET trys obtaining the IP address again ending up unsuccesful with the Wakeup on LAN switched on or off.

I do not understand  if VPN or the TETHERING & PORTABLE HOTSPOT areas are the input points I'm trying to find. I know VPN usually means virtual private network, but that's all I know about about VPN. Could I input the info from my IP here, some way?

I don't know if the TETHERING is the correct input line either.

I never got a manual for the DA220HQL that had what I'm looking for & Acer customer support gave me all kinds of lies & run-around daisy chain type answers until my warranty expired & wants $99.00 to answer one question or $160.00 for another year of support, AS IF I'd pay for another year after what I've had for support in the first year. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I'll be waiting for any help, TY.

Andy

• fingaluna
    Options

Andy,

On my unit, I just plugged the Ethernet cable in and it just worked.

I have IP addresses set automatically by my router (DHCP).

I did not enter any IP address on the unit - I left it on auto (DHCP).

Ethernet and WiFi do not interfere with each other, you can leave them both on.

Unless you need to use Static IP addresses on your network, I suggest letting your router use DHCP, then you don't need to do anything but plug in the cable.

Good Luck

• dynosoar
    dynosoar Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I am having exactly the same issues with WIFI on my 2 in 1.   Authenticates, but won't obtain IP Address on router with WPA and toggles between connect and disconnect on different router with WPA/WPA2.   Did the update and factory reset.

Acer seems to be hiding on this one.

I ave had excellent experiences with Acer, Woot and Amazon separately in the past, but collaboratively am feeling a need as a good citizen to sound the alarm on this team effort that has tarnished all 3 brands.

Thank you for a channel, Acer and I am still in hopes of resolution so that I can recommend the Acer brand once again.

• IronFly
    Options

the other connected to wifi devices can obtain IP automatically?

can you try to reboot you router and connect it again?

• dynosoar
    Options

Hey IronFly, first thank you for the reply.  I have done the reboots on routers, factory restore, etc.   I am wondering if I could upgrade the Android OS on it?     I have seen posts about loose antenna connections (which I think would make it so it didn't even see the router.) and it temps me to find the youtube showing how to get to in on this device.

The symptom on 2 different routers is that it tries to acquire the IP Address, after about 30 seconds it flashes that it is saving the information and then goes back to trying to obtain an IP Address.   

I would like to be an Acer believer again.   My background is that I have been involved in electronics and software as a profression for over 40 years and love the hunt.   I subcribe to the notion that there are no problems, only solutions.  (unless of course the solution is a problem)

Thanks again for your valued time and expertise,

dynosoar

• IronFly
    Options

i don't know of any OS update for the DA220HQL, at least officially.

the last thing to try, if not already done, is to factory reset your DA220HQL and try to connect to Wi-Fi again.

maybe you can try to change the wifi channel on the router, something around 10=11 and try again.

• dynosoar
    Options

Long time overdue, but the resolution (after Acer graciously checked the unit at the repair center) was that it needed to be WPA2 protocol rather than WPA.   Even though the access point I was connected to was WPA2, my portal to the ISP was WPA.

This was a great purchase and my satisfaction with Amazon, Woot and Acer continues as before.   My apologies for my ignorance, but if support could have specified that it needed to be WPA2 it would have helped.   I had no problem with other Windows, Apple or Android devices so it was perplexing.

Best regards,

Looking forward to my next good buy,  Satisfied.