Couple of Questions Regarding Acer Veriton 6800 (VT6800-50079)

Options
whataboutbob
whataboutbob Member Posts: 3 New User

I realize this is an old computer but I'm trying to rig something together for my mother to use.  Anyway, this has an Intel Celeron D 336, 2800MHz cpu.  Graphics-wise it has an Intel 82945G Express chipset.  It has 2GB of DDR2 (4x512MB) of memory.  There is a 40GB pata hard drive.  I installed Windows 7.  Tell you the truth but this is probably good enough for her needs but it cannot even stream online video properly - they are way too choppy. I am wondering what CPUs the motherboard can support? Secondly, can anyone recommend overclocking either the CPU and/or the onboard Intel graphics?  And if so, what kind of experience did you have?  Thanks for your time.

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My advice is to abandon that computer. Video is the biggest problem with those old computers. Video is such an important part of the Internet experience (in my opinion). It's not worth investing time and money in that rig.

Edit: I tried everything to keep my old laptop up and running after they ended support for XP. I even tried Linux. It just didn't have the graphics capability to run Internet video decently.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

The best original processor is:

KC.DB001.930 - CPU PENTIUM D 930 3.0GHZ/4M/800FSB/B1

To confirm:

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My advice is to abandon that computer. Video is the biggest problem with those old computers. Video is such an important part of the Internet experience (in my opinion). It's not worth investing time and money in that rig.

Edit: I tried everything to keep my old laptop up and running after they ended support for XP. I even tried Linux. It just didn't have the graphics capability to run Internet video decently.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • whataboutbob
    Options

The first 10 characters of the S/N is ps00794177

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,055 Trailblazer
    Options

I confirm the processor.

You have normally a PCI Express X16-1.0 so you can install a small graphic board.

France
  • whataboutbob
    Options

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  I believe the fault lies mainly with the Celeron cpu.  I installed a PCI-E card and it did not help.  Whenever I tried to stream video - it maxed the CPU out at 100% usage and video was unwatchable.  At any rate, I gave up on the computer and hopefully find another (not so old PC) to work on.