CPU Upgrade for Veriton 7800

Options
JasonArgo
JasonArgo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

I have a Veriton 7800 with a mainboard labelled as Acer M945G (Motherboard ID is Lakeport-6A79HM4EC-00).  It currently has a Pentium D 945 which is a 775 LGA Socket.  I am trying to upgrade this cpu to something that supports VT-x so that I can run VMWare Player for SAS.

My BIOS is R04-A0 version 6.00PG   (Bios Release Date = 11/29/2006).  This is the latest version of the Bios from the Acer Site.

CPUID reports the chipset is i945P/PL/G/GZ Rev A2 and Southbridge 82801GB (ICH7/R) Rev A1. From what I can find on this motherboard/chipset it appears to support FSB up to 1066mhz (533/800/1066) DDR2 ram (400/533/667) up to 4gb.  The current processor has a TDP of 95w.  So I am pretty sure my heatsink should cope with anything up to that/or with lower operating temperatures

I did some searches for this chipset on CPU-Upgrade.com but the closest I could find is the Intel i945P-Express.  Not sure if thats the same chipset as I have but it says it will support Core2Duo up to E6600. The E6600 has a 65w TDP, 1066FSB and 60.1 degree Tcase so I figured it should work. Given they are so cheap now I went ahead and purchased one and tried to install it. No luck though.   No beep on power-on and no display. Removed all my extra cards (wifi, graphics, etc) and unplugged all my cords other than power and a standard VGA display cable but still no joy.

I have trawled through the ACER documentation for my PC but I cannot find any more detailed information on this motherboard or suitable CPU upgrades.   Is there anyone out there who has any additional information on this motherboard and/or what cpu upgrades are possible - especially any that have VT-x support.

Many thanks

Jason

Answers

• George73
    George73 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
          I tried similar things, i can say that the symptoms are the same. (I wanded to upgrade the cpu, and update the software from Windows7 to Windows10). I have the same PC with Pentium D 820, which did not support windows10.
          For start i was update the bios. Although the first day, the pc worked, the next day it was dead. (It could not start, no beep from motherboard). I tried to start m/b and cpu alone, without success. Then i change the cpu with a Pentium 4 661 (Jan 2006) which i had from the past. The Pc started and beep heard. From that moment the Pc worked and updated to windows10. 
          Because i is an old Pc, i tried to upgrade, one more time. I borrowed and old cpu a core 2 duo e6400 (july 2006). The Pc become dead again. I change the cpu and after many starts, i cleared cmos many time and a lot of effort, finaly started beep and worked. 
          Unfortunately the model is abandoned from Acer, althought it has the 945 chipset.        
    Finaly if you have the Pc you can bring it back and if you are interested. It isn't brake down. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    I would expect you could upgrade to the Pentium D 950 or 960, and likely to the 955 or 965 Extreme Editions. I wouldn't expect anything newer would work without a different chipset, which means different motherboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.