Aspire m3970 and GTX 970

-Bogart-
-Bogart- Member Posts: 2 New User

I just bought a MSi GTX 970 and went to put it in and Computer no longer booting. Tested New GPU in another computer and it boots fine. The problem is with the Bios on this model not recognizing the GTX 970. My question is... Is there a Bios Update for this model other than the one that is on the Drivers page becuase that does not work. I would hate to either have to return the card and get a lesser one or buy a new MOBO and case and scrap this PC. Help anyone PLZ

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Is the computer shipped with windows 7 0r windows 8?

If you computer has windows 8, you may set the BIOS to legacy mode and install the addon card.

Click the Kudos  to say “Thanks” for helping!

• -Bogart-
    -Bogart- Member Posts: 2 New User
    It's shipped with 7 x64 and I clean installed 8.1 pro x64(got it cheap).
  • nPHYN1T3
    nPHYN1T3 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the same issue. I got a radeon R9 270x today (Xmas) and when I install it the machine fails to post. I am not using the stock PSU, I'm running a 900 watt Antec HCG-900. The machine runs fine as long as I toss my Radeon 4870 back in but adding the 270x results in fans spinning up and no post. Is there an issue with this motherboard supplying the correct voltage to the PCIe slot for modern cards? I'd really appreciate some input as I'm returning the card as DOA but I won't be trying to replace it because for all I know every card may result in no post due to issues with voltage on the board. It's slightly commical to think this might be a voltage issue given the 270x should be more power effecient than my 4870 but I'm not sure if the 4870 leans more on the 2 6pin external power than the PCIe where the 270x may demand more from the PCIe and only draw what it needs after that from the 2 6pin. My machine is the i5-3450 model with Win 7x64. I'll be redoing with Ubuntu Studio soon but OS is irrelevant when the machine won't even post as it's not a top end software issue Smiley Happy

• nPHYN1T3
    nPHYN1T3 Member Posts: 5 New User

Quick update that may or may not help the author. I was angry with todays events and continued to pour over search queries and forum posts about this issue. Turns out the Radeon I got has an "unpublished" switch that changes the BIOS. This is rather aggrivating on many levels because switching jumpers and all that went with it should have been a thing of the past. Sadly not so...the cards can't auto switch. So for me this meant I found a post where someone mentioned "a switch" on my card. No mention on the cards box, no mention in the manual...what switch!? After finding it and -switching- it the thing worked! So where this leaves you my nVida friend I'm not sure. If your card can run Legacy/EUFI make sure it lines up with what your mobo BIOS is set for. My BIOS is set to Legacy because Microsoft *** I'm migrating this (last Windows) machine to Ubuntu Studio as soon as I can buy my new audio interface thus I have EUFI disabled. However if you have it enabled (which you probably do running Win7 and now 8) your card will also have to be set to EUFI mode which it might have been set to Legacy out of the box. Or perhaps your card has to be ordered with the correct BIOS modeand can't be switched. Check for a jumper, push button or toggle switch somewhere on the card and you should hopefully be back in business! I wish you luck man!

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• netwiz
    netwiz Member Posts: 1 New User

I purchased a ZOTAC GTX 960 card for my Acer M3970 running Windows 7 64

and once installed, it does not boot.

- Upgraded Power with EVGA 430W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply.

- Upgraded BIOS to P03.A3

- Enabled PCIE in bios

- Wil just not boot

Just don't know what to do