Are These Older Veriton Models Supported by Windows 10?

vinestone
vinestone Member Posts: 2 New User

I have two older work computers which are currently running windows 7. This is the model information that I could find for each of them:

• Acer Desktop, Veriton M6 Series, ID: VM680G - EI5650W.
  • Acer Desktop, Veriton M2 Series, M275.

I tried upgrading them to Windows 10 when it was first released, but it wouldn't install properly since it wasn't supported at the time and it messed up my computers so badly that I had to wipe them clean and reinstall Windows 7 (even with Microsoft tech-support we were unable to simply revert back to a previous version of Windows).

Since then I've been receiving daily alerts to download Windows 10 again. With the free version of the operating system expiring soon, I'm wondering if its been updated so that my computer models are supported now so that I can safely install it. I'm having trouble finding online whether or not these specific Acer models are supported. I'm just looking for some input on whether or not these models are supported yet and if I'm safe to try installing it again. I don't want to go through the same issues as before since these are important work computers and having to wipe them last time was a huge inconvenience.

Thanks!

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hello

Acer's website does not state your models as being compatible, so it is a 50-50 chance on whether you can update to Windows 10. Microsoft's latest build may well be more compatible that the previous version you tried.

In the first instance, image your entire disk of each PC. To do this you need a spare hard drive(s) to back them up to. Use the Built in Windows 7 system image burner. It will also be wise to create a System repair disk, should things go wrong.

You could also use a program like Macrium Reflect - again, I'd create a Reflect recovery disk, just in case.

Then you can try to download WIndows 10. Right click the white Windows icon in the system tray (by the clock). An option should be "Check your upgrade status" - this should advise if Microsoft thinks your PC is compatible. If it comes back as a Yes, then progress to upgrade.

If you have any problems, then re-image your computer with the image previously created. This will restore your PC exactly to they way it was before you started.

If all else fails, then use  GWX Control Panel- this will stop your PC trying to upgrade to Windows 10.

• vinestone
    vinestone Member Posts: 2 New User

I appreciate the help.

I would imagine that neither of these models be added to the list of supported computers for Windows 10 due to their age, so I suppose I just have to hope that as Windows 10 continues to be updated that it will eventually be compatiable. I think I'll hold off on trying to update them, but if I do try in the future I'll be certain to back everything up.

Thanks!

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

You're welcome!