No Bootable Device when system starts (After shut down - cold boot) - ACER VN7-591G

karankanuga
karankanuga Member Posts: 26 New User

I recently installed windows on a Samsung M.2 SSD and everything went fine;  windows started normally. The problem is, whenever I shutdown my PC and switch it on it straight away gives me an error of - No bootable device. After that i press cntrol + alt + del, the system restarts and then it boots normally from the SSD taking me to windows.

This happens only when I start the laptop after a shutdown, if i normally restart my pc, I don't get this error.

Is it due to the recovery partition of the old hard drive which i was using before to boot into windows. (see screenshot)

acer.png

I have also noticed int he BIOS setup that the Windows   is always at the top of bootable devices, even when I change it to the SSD

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on UEFI settings, windows boot manager must be the first bootable device, it's why it reverts back to it.

looking at your screenshot, you can easily notice the issue:

Disk0 is SSD

Disk1 is HDD

Disk0 has an unallocated space and one single partition that's where the OS is but....on DIsk1 there are 2 recovery partitions (windows recovery not Acer recovery) and the EFI partition that normally must be in the same Disk where OS is.

so....this create some confusions on cold boots.

to be honest i would re-install again from scratch (wiping both SSD and HDD), without the HDD on your laptop, so the windows installation is forced to install EFI and recovery on your SSD, then (once installed) put back the HDD.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • karankanuga

Thanks for your inputs.

Actually Its not practical for me to do a fresh install due to a company software i use which needs to be re-tuned everytime I install windows and I just got it done recently, when i re-installed windows to the SSD

I do not require the HDD, will formatting the HDD from windows resolve the issue ?

• IronFly

nope, you will kill the EFI partition, so you will not able to boot.

• karankanuga

But the hard drive D: , does not have anything in it. Windows gets laoded from the SSD which is in C:\

• IronFly

it has the EFI partition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition

this is why sometimes you have problems on booting, the EFI partition (normally) has to be in the same SSD or HDD where the OS partition is.