Acer VN7-591G-74LK random 2-3 second freezes across all games

Options
Lombax
Lombax Member Posts: 4 New User

When I play smite and Garry's mod on my V Nitro the game will randomly freeze or stutter for 2-3 seconds.

Things tried:
1. Updated Bios to 1.13
2. Rolled back video drivers to the ones provided on the site
3. Re-installed windows 10

4. Offset cpu voltage -75mV via intel XTU (suggested here: http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series/Aspire-Nitro-VN7-591g-54WZ-in-game-freezes/td-p/327998)

Things to note:
1. Recently updated to windows 10, flawless  but sfc /scannow gave errors (But I reinstalled and those errors no longer appear)

2. One of the fans seems a bit louder than the other and may be dying
3. Laptop IS under warrenty, so motherboard replacement/new laptop is an option

4. XTU shows NO thermal throttling, CPU max:87C GPU max:75C

Please give me suggestions on this problem. Can't win any smite games as support cause I lock up and end up behind enemy lines! ):

Edit: This problem does not appear on The Witcher 3 (DX11).

Answers

• Lombax
    Options

Sent my laptop in to acer. Issue remains this is some serious BS Not getting what I payed for at all!

More things I have tried:
    1. setting cpu to 99%
    2. running game in power saving mode
    3. sending in the laptop to acer for "repair" (Which they did not!)

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

Options

I had the same issue with Windows 10 after an upgrade. I bought it with Windows 8, but upgraded in a week, so wasn't sure if the issue was there with 8.1.

In the end I did a clean install of Windows 10, using the current Geforce drivers from NVidia, and the rest of the drivers from this site. Since then it has been much better (crysis was very bad before). It does still happen but it's quite rare now.

It's not throttling, I had intels extreme tweaker running next to a windowed version of crysis, and if it froze, the cpu usage went to nothing on the graph, but the throttling stayed at 0%.

I have noticed it's whenever data is being loaded, mainly to the audio device, ie if you are playing the crysis and you enter a new area and some 'talking' audio file is need, it will freeze and the instant it unfreezes, the audio sample is played.

Might even be the hard disk spinning up, but it seems as if it stalls while the PCIE bus or similar is starved of data....I’ll keep working on it, but I’m nearly sure it’s not CPU related.

• Lombax
    Options

I wonder if upgrading my audio drivers will help dampen the issue, I also noticed it is related to audio. I fresh installed Windows 8.1 and windows 10 before sending in the laptop to acer. After receiving it back from acer I fresh installed windows 10 and wiped my ssd(os) and hdd(games). The issue persists but it's not as bed and only like about a second or two now.