Acer Aspire V5-571 Unable to Get Into BIOS After Changing Windows 8.1 UEFI Settings

Options
stsabrmc
stsabrmc Member Posts: 1 New User

My Acer Aspire V5-571 had become infected with some type of MALWARE that I could not get rid of using the latest MS Malicious Software Removal Tool or SuperAntiSpyware program so I turned to another tool I use for extreme cases -the always reliable Kaspersky Rescue 10 CD with the latest signatures.

To use the Kaspersky Rescue 10 CD, you go to Kaspersky's website, download the Rescue 10 CD ISO, burn it to a DVD or CD, then boot the infected machine to it and run a scan. The scan completes, gives you options on how to handle the offending virus or malware it finds, and away you go. This can also be done with a bootable thumbdrive. The challenge I came across with this Acer laptop, unlike in the past, was actually getting into the BIOS in the first place to change the boot order and make the CD/DVD the first bootable drive. Having never delt with Windows 8.x and its ownership of the boot process with UEFI, it took some time to actually get into the Acer Aspire BIOS to begin with. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Within Windows 8.x either swipe from the right or hover your cursor in the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop until you get the charm bar to unhide itself and select Settings.

Step 2: Select Change PC Settings.

Step 3: Select Update & Recovery on the lower left menu.

Step 4: Select Recovery.

Step 5: Select Advance Startup. Your system will reboot into the Advance Startup window.

Step 6: In the Advance startup window you will have 4 choices: Continue, Use a device, Troubleshoot, or Turn off your PC. Select Troubleshoot < Advance Options.

Step 7: You should now be in the Advance Options window. From here you have 6 options: System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, UEFI Firmware Settings, & Startup Settings.super

So after running the Kaspersky Rescue CD and scanning the hard drive of the Acer Aspire to remove the offending MALWARE, I exited the Rescue CD by choosing the restart option from Kaspersky desktop, it goes through the process of unmounting the CD since the Rescue CD is actually Linux based and then it reboots the laptop.

After reboot I get a 1 second flash of the Acer splash screen with BIOS options (F2 to enter BIOS, F12 to enter boot menu), and then quickly boots back to the Kaspersky CD. I remove the CD and reboot again. This time it reboots, 1 sec flash of the Acer splash screen, and then a gut wrenching No Operating System Found message is displayed. It took me some time to realize that the laptop was not attempting to boot to the hard drive at all -even though I had selected it to be the second bootable device to the CD/DVD drive.

It appeared to be stuck just booting to the CD/DVD drive because repeated attempts to get back into the BIOS and change the boot order were ignored. Hitting F2 at bootup, holding F2 while recycling power, hitting F12, Alt + F10 -all the options I could find posted on these forums or on YouTube regarding a keystroke combination were ignored. There was, however, one obscure posting regarding a pin hole sized battery reset button on the bottom of an Acer M model that worked for the poster that I got focused in on. The Acer V5-571 does not have this battery reset button pin hole on the bottom of the case or anywhere else. There was another obscure post on how to reset the BIOS (a.k.a. battery reset) by using a paper clip and pressing the BIOS reset button in the memory compartment of an Acer model similar to the V5-571 but when I looked at my model specifically there was no such button. Finally I came across this link: 

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/440339/Acer-Aspire-V5-571p.html?page=229#manual

And wha-la! Issue resolved. Turns out that if you remove the memory compartment cover on the bottom side of your Acer Aspire V5-571 and remove the memory DIMM in slot 2. There are two coppper shorting pin holes embedded in the motherboard labeled G2201. Make sure your laptop is powered off and its power cord is plugged in then take the two ends of a paper clip and bridge (short) the gap in between the two pin holes. Your laptop will immediately begin booting up, resetting the BIOS back to Windows 8.x UEFI control which in turn gets you booted back into Windows as long as your MBR and boot partition is still in tact.