won't boot or install windows 10 in UEFI mode

mac_angel
mac_angel Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have an Aspire v7 and I am trying to install Windows 10. I have a USB formatted with UEFI install of Windows 10 64bit, and it works on my other computers, but I can't get my Acer to boot from it. I was able to switch to LEGACY mode in the boot options in the BIOS and install it that way, but if I go back into the BIOS to switch back to UEFI, it tells me no media is found.

How can I get my laptop to boot and install in UEFI mode, or at least be able to switch back to UEFI mode after the installation?

Answers

• wtfs
    wtfs Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Did you use the windows 10 media downloader and application to create the UEFI boot usb? 

• mac_angel

Tinkerer

I have both, but I'm using an updated image that is more than 3GB, so it's formatted in NTSF, not FAT32. Disk image and used Rufus to create the USB install. As I said, I have used it on my other computers and works no problem with just UEFI turned on in the BIOS, but not with my Acer.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

The instructions in link below are for Windows 8.1 but it's the same instructions for Windows 10 (obviously you need to download and use the Windows 10 ISO.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mac_angel

Tinkerer

Thanks, that worked.

What the problem was is the formatting option of Rufus. It needs to specifically be set to GPT partition scheme for UEFI, and FAT32. The new version keeps defaulting to other setttings, which didn't work. Once I reformatted to those settings, it worked like a charm. I didn't even need to wipe the disk in DOS mode first. 

• JordanB

Ok great.  

It's always best to start with a clean disk in my opinion.  Most people probably just delete the partitions prior to clean installing.  I use "diskpart clean".  Either method will work.  But again, it's always best to start with a clean disk....imo.

"To ensure a 100% clean install it’s better to fully delete these instead of just formatting them."

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-install-Windows-10/

Yes, before you click "start" when using rufus, always double check your settings.  Sometimes they change without your knowledge when you click ISO button.

• JordanB

If you have any problems in the future, then go back and follow the link below....step-by-step.....and just let the Windows installer automatically partition and format your clean HDD.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

• Boateng
    Boateng Member Posts: 1 New User
    Please my dad bought me Acer aspire 3 from German but the problem is that the language is in Dutch n I can't install Windows 10.please help me
  • mac_angel

Tinkerer

Boateng said:
    Please my dad bought me Acer aspire 3 from German but the problem is that the language is in Dutch n I can't install Windows 10.please help me
    How old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty so you can call in their tech support?
    The BIOS is in Dutch, or Windows?
    You can go to Microsoft's site and download a tool that creates a Windows 10 install on a USB key.
  • JordanB
    edited March 2019
    @Boateng

If you still have trouble, you can start a new topic.  I have only used Windows English USA so I don't know much about changing languages or if your Windows version is Single Language or anything like that.  There's lots of people on this forum that are bilingual that will tell you how to solve your problem.
  • mac_angel

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    @Boateng

If you still have trouble, you can start a new topic.  I have only used Windows English USA so I don't know much about changing languages or if your Windows version is Single Language or anything like that.  There's lots of people on this forum that are bilingual that will tell you how to solve your problem.
    starting a new post is a good idea since this issue is different than what I was posting about. But if it's a simple thing that I think I can help out with, I will, and save you from posting again.