v5-112p running very slow, crashing- many have same issue but no answer as yet HELP

Options
ronb62
ronb62 Member Posts: 10 New User

auto updated to win 10 (home) running VERY slow, locks up, crashes. System process never drops below 40%.

A Known problem as many others having same issue!

Tried all following plus more i cant remember-

1.       Updated bios 2.08 to 2.12 (latest)

2.       Clean re-install of windows 10 (anniversary edition)

3.       Updated all drivers, checked with driver talent and updated 3 further

Disabled start-up, (&since renabled)

1.       oneDrive

2.       Realtek HD audio

3.       One drive

Regedit

1.       Timebroker value 3 to 4

2.       2 others I can't remember

Settings tried

Notification actions to off

Updates sources from more than one location to off

Power settings to never shut off on battery or power

Page file stopped, restarted and recreated

My guess is incompatible driver/s (O.S. to hardware/ O.S. but how to solve)

ALL suggestions welcome

Answers

• ronb62
    Options

further to above:  Disabling the video adapter driver (AMD Radeon HD8210) drops the sytem processor usage to 0-1%, result -sort of !-- but this obviously destroys the machines capability for anything with graphics!  AMD/ACER need to produce a driver that actually works with Windows 10 and the graphics chips in this machine. Have tried installing the windows 8.1 Catalyst drivers:- but that caused even more problems.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Go to Command Prompt(Admin), type sfc /scannow press enter and see whether it helps.Run this command at least 3 times and note the space between letter C and /.

• ronb62
    Options

UPdate::

Have spent yet another day on trying to sort this. Have tried and altered that many things the only way was to start again with a fresh windows 10 install yet again. great, worked well on first start then as it insisted on a One drive update and then downloaded the Catalyst (Crimson edition) software it went pear shaped yet again. Discovered that One Drive whilst it was logged in, the icon in the system tray said it wasn't.???? Quit one drive and the CPU usuage dropped by about 40%, after restarting it and a restart that problem has disappeared (at least for now). DIsabling the video adapter (HD8210) and the system CPU usage drops to 1-2% . The radeon software appears to be the culprit or at odds with something. The basic windows driver works but obviously does not make the best use of the graphics chips. The machine an Acer aspire v5-122P was originally a W8 machine. I have seen many others with the same fault searching around and many similar faults too high CPU/ High Memory usage and there appears some confusion amongst some people. Have tried various catalyst versions no luck yet. Will keep going!

• Bigmitts
    Bigmitts Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

I have exactly the same problem.

I have installed the 15-7-1 driver which seems to work Ok for me and also I have blocked Windows Update from updating it.

• Bigmitts
    Bigmitts Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Also

When I was trying different drivers a error came up saying the driver was "pre installed"  but I thought I had removed the previous drivers so where was it hiding.

• GazzaTB
    GazzaTB Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Hopefully if we continue to complain about the graphics driver problem here Acer will eventually try and resolve the issue, it would be nice if someone from Acer actually replied on one of these threads obviously as this problem essentialy renders the laptop useless and will affect everyone who owns one of these laptops - not to mention the amount of time I have had to spend loading and unloading drivers - like everyone else it would appear...