v3-371 overheating (gaming [eg. WoW] and normal usage)

Options
Aenyee
Aenyee Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I bought Acer Aspire V3-371-54TF (i5-5257U, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, 8GB RAM) because I wanted a laptop, which I could use both for studies and gaming from time to time. The problem is that it overheats very quickly and I cannot play anything. When trying to play World of Warcraft (even on the lowest settings) the CPU temperature is about 90 Celcius or higher and the fan is very loud. I also tried League of Legends, Diablo and the situation is the same. On the reviews I have read someone even played Grand Theft Auto V on high settings and there was no word about the oveheating.

What is more, the fan goes very loud even when I do not use the laptop. I chcecked, and the temperature also goes up to 80/90 Celcius when doing absolutely nothing and running no programmes.

Can it be hardware problem?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

If the fans are working is not a hardware problem. Are you sure you don't have some software which uses the CPU even on idle?

And to improve thermals you can start by cleaning the dust from the fans (it can be the problem) or even changing the thermal paste, which definetely will help more. Also a cooling pad can be useful. Most notebooks have the CPU at 80-90 degrees under load. Do to the small formfactor, cooling a CPU to a "reasonable temperature" (eg 50-60 C like in a tower PC) is not really possible in a small notebook.

• Aenyee
    Aenyee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

When I checked in the task manager, there is only something connected with Windows, so I suppose I cannot do anything with it. I do not think that the dust is the problem - the laptop behaves like that from the begginig, I bought it in the shop, it is new. Cooling pad do not really helps, the temperature is the same.

I am just afraid that I will somehow damage the laptop while playing. In WoW, for example during raids, the temperature can be closer to 100 than 80 C.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

CPU's have in place measures against overheating. One of them is the thermal throttling, which means that if your CPU reaches a certain treshold temperature (depends on the CPU but it's between 95-98C) it will start to throttle which means it will reduce is core speed in order to reduce the heat output and thus avoiding overheating. Many notebooks when they have full load on their CPU's and GPU's run at around 90 degrees.  Mine makes no exception as well. As i told you it could help a lot if you would change the thermal paste on the CPU, while I am sure you would still run at the same temperature (especially if now your CPU is throttling) the core speed would be higher, or the CPU would not throttle at all.

You can see if the CPU and GPU is throttling by the sudden framerate drop in the games, especially if you have something which shows you the number of frames per second.

The last measure against heat damage for a CPU is the sudden shutdown, which happens when the CPU reaches 105C.