v nitro 591g SERIOUS cooling problems

Options
paulreeves1975
paulreeves1975 Member Posts: 3 New User

hi

i just downgraded from alienware 17 980m i7 6980hk  to this v nitro 960m i5 (portability) and im instantly regretting it! the cooling is abysmal! 

why make a 'gaming' laptop with such awful cooling? it defeats the purpose! 92deg black ops 3 medium settings ????

coolboost is not available on this model ????

fanspeed is locked so msi afterburner et al useless!

im not buying a cool pad etc the machine should be cool enough to use for its intended purpose otherwise my solicitor wife tells me its not 'fit for purpose' and so i can take it back under consumer goods act.

before i do is there anyway to keep the gpu etc cool without voiding the warranty?

acer what were you thinking (if at all)?

ty in advance ????

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I hope you are not comparing this notebook with an alienware notebook. I mean do you see the obvious size difference? Do you know why alienware has such a bulky size? I am sure you know.

Coming back to your issue, well there are solutions and workarounds. One of it is to change thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, another one is the cooling pad (it will not help too much), and of course using notebook fan control which has a configuration for 591G.

These units are made to work at such temperatures under load, the CPU will not be damaged, nor the GPU, and if they reach the Prochot temperature they will throttle back or in the worst case scenario they will just shut down all the sudden.

By the way, to your knowledge, I don't see that acer advertises the notebook as a "gaming one": http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspirevnitro

If you want hardcore gaming then go for Alienware, Sager, MSI or Predator from Acer. Those are gaming notebooks.

There will be always trade offs between performance, cooling and portability. There is no company who makes exceptions. Neither MSI, Razer or Apple have notebooks which don't go so high in temperatures and are "decent" in size (not like a freaking alienware). It's true, some of the mentioned ones are better to deal with the cooling and preventing the CPU and GPU from throttling than Acer. But still their units will work at around the same temperature, although at higher clock speeds.

• paulreeves1975
    Options
    hi there

ty for your reply. i have searched high and low for a solution and also came across notebook fan control but i could not find my specific model in the drop down menu, or anywhere online.

i have been gaming on note books/ laptops for 15 years, iv have done a few tear downs etc i know my onions so to speak. im well aware of what AW MSI Clevo etc are and do, this machine may not be advertised as a gaming machine in the US but it was here, i think it a bit niave of you to not consider this but thanks for the thought.

im taking this back as it is clearly NOT a gaming notebook, and will purchase a dragon pro g with gtx 1080.

goodbye acer ????????
  • paulreeves1975
    Options
    btw the gtx 960m is a great card, capable of good fps and settings if only the cooling was not so bad, which is a pity as with this small notebook they could have had a winner.

????
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Here you can find all notebook fan control configs:

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/tree/master/Configs

And of course, there is VN7-591G