"There was a problem resetting your PC" (VN7-591G-Y3Y5)

Options
tytlyf
tytlyf Member Posts: 43 New User

Acer Aspire Nitro V (VN7-591G-Y3Y5) Win 8.1

Tried doing a fresh install on SSD that was installed and near the end of the USB flash drive 'reset' installation I get a blue screen with that message "There was a problem resetting your PC."

I tried doing a Reset w/ create partitions and completely clean the drive.  

I tried doing a Reset w/ create partitions and keep files.

My BIOS is set to UEFI, should it be changed to Legacy for this installation?

"No Bootable Device" is displayed when I start the computer without the USB

Additionally, the "Windows Boot Manager" option is no longer in the boot menu.

Thanks everyone!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

was your SSD completly wiped before re-installing the OS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tytlyf
    Options

I was speaking with you on the other thread about installing a  SSD and using the 1TB HDD for storage.  

I had everything up and running but noticed some strange behavior and noticed that there were still some original partitions on the HDD as well as the new SSD.  I was able to use a program to wipe the HDD and partition it for storage.  

I decided to just do a complete fresh install after that on the new SSD and that's where I ran into this problem.  When I did the Reset w/ cleaning all files, I ran into the error at the end.  Now I cannot boot at all and the USB flash always has the error at the end after a reset.

The SSD was not wiped clean when doing the new USB reset.  

I tried Repair and it couldn't complete.  I tried chkdsk and the system was able to find all the original partitions and everything was healthy.  

I'm in the process of resetting the SSD again after this command prompt chkdsk and it's almost done.  I'm not sure if it will work.

So it seems all the paritions are still there, do you have any command prompt commands I could try to help out?

EDIT:  I think the problem was that I tried to reset everything with both drives still connected.  Now I don't have the "Windows Boot Manager" as an option in the boot menu anymore.

• IronFly
    Options

command prompt:
    then inside the cmd windows, type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean

• tytlyf
    Options

I found information about the Bootrec commands.  I was able to have "Windows boot manager" show back up in the boot menu.  But the sysetm still doesn't boot and I still get an error after trying to reset the pc.  I'll try the commands you mentioned.  

Another strange thing is in the USB Flash boot menu it asks "Which operating system do you want to install" and the selection is 'blank.'  I think it used to say Windows 8.1.

EDIT:  Just did your command prompts and "Windows boot manager is no longer in the boot menu.  I will try to Reset PC again

EDIT2:  Just ran Reset PC and it failed again.

• tytlyf
    Options

The system keeps failing from the USB drive.  Now when I boot from from the SSD, I get the following screen.  I no longer see the 'no bootable device'

20150423_132115.jpg

Here's what I was talking about in the USB Flash recovery, the option to choose the operating system is blank (I think it used to say Windows 8.1).  Not sure if this is relevant.

20150423_133806.jpg

20150423_133121.jpg

Showing healthy partitions.  When I run bootrec /rebuildbcd  , it shows 0 installed operating systems20150423_134348.jpg

• IronFly
    Options

have you tried from the USB flash drive, select troubleshoot/advanced and try to fix boot problem? (just to try to fix the first error screen)

3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair. If that does not help, go for System restore. If that works fine, then create a system restore point so that next time you encounter any problems you may always restore the computer to the recent system restore point created.

4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Once the command completes, restart the computer.

by the way, there's something wrong and i suspect on the USB flash media drive; just to narrow check also if ram is ok with something like memtest.

• tytlyf
    Options

I've tried everything.  All the paritions are there but the system won't complete a Reset PC from USB.  I tried the same steps with the HDD plugged in and the SSD unplugged and the same error messages pop up.  Failure to reset system, same boot error screen and error type with the HDD.

There isn't a restore point on the system.

Is there a way to recreate a Factory Recovery Backup on the USB Flash again from the command prompt?  The SSD still has all the correct recovery partitions.

As far as memtest, I don't see the option in my bios

Is there a way to scan the files on my USB Flash to make sure they are all correct in a seperate laptop?

It seems like the REset PC from USB partitions the drive just fine, it's just that the system doesn't know where to boot from or something.

• tytlyf
    Options

Here's more strange info I see when running a couple different command prompts.  I think this is related to the boot record or windows boot manager.  I think this can be resolved with some command prompts.  Notice the location of the boot manager.  The system also doesn't have the PC Repair bluescreen, it goes to "No bootable Device."  This changes back and forth depending on certain commands apparently.20150423_174346.jpg

I've been referring to the following page for information on this boot issue.  Take a look at the section about 3/4 the way down labeled = https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html#bootrec

Step 1.3 (optional) - repair Boot Configuration Data with bootrec.  

I'm thinking that the USB or something is telling the new install to look in a wrong place for the OS after it reaches 69% and then goes to the error message for reset.

• tytlyf
    Options

I found an extra program on my USB Flash drive, it was a pwfree.iso or something that was a win8.1 bootable file added to the USB.  I probably didn't think that would make a difference.  Anyways, I deleted that file, and tried doing another Reset PC with 'deleting disk drive' for a change.  This would wipe everything.  It got to 77%, paused for 5 minutes and the same error "Problem resetting PC".  Here's a screenshot.  The USB drive is partitioning and doing everything right it seems, this has to be boot file related or something.  Notice how there are now individual drive labels for each partition.

At the bottom of the screenshot are the files on the USB Flash.  I'm getting frustrated with this.

20150423_211424.jpg

• IronFly
    Options

can you try a windows 8.1 media iso?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise

it's an evaluation copy of 8.1 enteprise, so you can check if it's an hardware issue or your USB flash drive image faulty.

• tytlyf
    Options

I'll give that a shot and report back.  Does the ISO have to be put on the same Flash drive as the recovery?  

• tytlyf
    Options

I tried putting the ISO on the same USB as the recovery media and the system wasn't able to find the image after booting up.  I tried connecting a second USB flash with only the ISO on it at the same time as the USB recovery and it wasn't able to find it.  Am I doing this correct?

Boot to the USB Recovery, select Troubleshoot > Advanced > System Image Recovery ?  

When I select System Image recovery, the "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer" dialog pops up.20150424_113133.jpg

20150424_113147.jpg

Here are the files on my USB Flash recovery with the ISO added.

20150424_113637.jpg

• IronFly
    Options

wait wait.....

you need to write the iso image to an USB flash drive with Rufus (need to set the bootable device for UEFI BIOS only), not just copy, it's a complete image of the windows installation media not a file to read from the USB recovery.

i suggest you to use anothe USB flash drive if possible, since Rufus will delete everything on the USB flash drive when burning the iso file.

• tytlyf
    Options

I didn't know that.  I sent it in for repair today.