overheating and battery concern

Options
blackice55
blackice55 Member Posts: 11 New User

I have some question about the heat and the battery of my laptop. I am currently owning the Aspire VN7-591G-787J gaming notebook. First I will start with the battery. I usually use my laptop on the ac adapter at 100% of charge. When the battery is at 100% its saying: plugged in not charging. So I assume it will be good for the battery because it is only using power from the adapter during that time. I use the laptop on the battery every 2 week to keep the battery in shape. Is it a good way to get a good life time on my battery before it start to deteriorate?

The other question is about overheating. When I was gaming on my laptop I saw that the cpu was way to hot. In some case on crysis 3 it was getting up top 99c  and the processor was trottling himself. to fix that I put the max utulisation of the cpu at 80% and now my cpu is at 85c when gaming. For some reason I dont see any of the cool dust and booster thing when I open acer quick access. So I was wondering if the 85-90 temperature in the long term would cause any damage to the cpu and other part of the laptop when gaming. I hope that my post is clear enough! english is not my primary language. Smiley Sad

Answers

• bassie9
    bassie9 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Your first question: As the battery isn't removable, you can't do much to prevent battery ageing. Regularly letting it drain by using it is in my opinion the smartest move.

Your second question. 99 degrees celcius on the die of the CPU is dangerous. Intel requires OEMs (like Acer) to use cooling solutions that can hold temperatures up to the maximum Tjunction temperature minus 10 degrees, which in your case would be 90 degrees.

Your CPU throttles to keep it under 100 degrees celcius. This means the cooling isn't working as expected. I suggest that you RMA it, as those temperatures can damage your hardware.

Some quick questions

What program did you use to measure the temperatures? I suggest HWMonitor: klik me! What is the room temperature? 26 degrees or more can cause high temperatures like these. What is the GPU temperature?

• blackice55
    Options

I use msi afterburner and HWmonitor at the same time to see what is happening in game. Like i said when I go in power plan in windows and put the max cpu usage at 80% it never go over 90c. I saw somewhere in the forum that if you put the cpu max usage to 99% it gonna have the same effect. I think I will do some test and post some screenshot to see if its true. If I can maintain temperature of 85-90c I guess it will be ok? For the gpu its usually stay stable at 80c so I guess that this is not a problem. the room temperature is 25 c.

• blackice55
    Options

after some testing I came to the conclusion that setting the cpu to 99% instead of 100% in power plan make a big diference. on this screen shot the cpu is running at 100%.

https://goo.gl/photos/ffnSHBEavHx9xSk68

when it say yes at the bottom its mean that the core is getting throttle.

on this screenshot the cpu is set to 99% max utilisation. after 15 minute of gameplay it nerver really go above 90c and their is no throttling.

https://goo.gl/photos/MMt97ZqKvuGbKxvp7

It would be interesting to know why I got that much diference in temperature for only 1% in power plan setting.

• bassie9
    bassie9 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

The difference between 99% and 100% is the turbo boost. Turbo boost is disabled when you set the maximum to 99%.

I think the temperatures are too high, even for a room temperature of 25 degrees celcius. I have some questions. Please answer them all, so I can get a clear view on the cooling solution in the notebook.

1. Is the humidity high in the room? A high humidity can cause higher temperatures than a room with 28 degrees celcius and a low humidity.

2. On what surface are you using your laptop?

3. Have you tried a cooling stand? Like the Cooler Master Notepal-series (I've got one myself, and they really work well).

4. Are cables or other things blocking the air vent?

5. Are the FANs spinning at a high RPM (measure it with SpeedFAN or HWMonitor). With high I mean higher than 3500RPM.

• blackice55
    Options

1. no the humidity is normal in the room.

2. I am currently using it on a desk and the laptop is most of the time plugged to an external monitor. I keep the laptop screen off when gaming so its helping a little with the heat.

3. I plan on buying one! I will look for that model thank you.

4. No.

5. I am not able to see the speed of the fan on hwmonitor, speed fan, and msi afterburn. could it be that acer dont want me to be able to mess with the fan speed? I can tell for sure that its working when I am gaming. Not sure if its 3500 rpm.

when I open the acer quick access menu I cant see the cool bost and dust protection feature. Maybe I am missing them and it is causing the over heating when the cpu is on turbo boost?