brand new Aspire VN7-591G overheating.

Options
tactx
tactx Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi. Just bought this laptop, and when I am playing games the cpu and gpu goes over 90 degrees C. 
I have of course looked around on the internet and found out that many people with this laptop are having overheating issues. Some solutions were to max out the fan speed, or to turn off Intel Turboboost.
I don't really like the idea of maxing out my fans, so i tried turning off Intel Turboboost, which then set the max temps at 75-80 degrees C. I mostly tried Dota 2 (but also a couple of other steam games) on medium to high settings. 
I don't know what to do, since I was expecting a gaming laptop....

my specs:

Acer Aspire Nitro VN7-591G 15,6" FHD GeForce GTX960M,Core i7-4720HQ,8GB RAM,128GB SSD,1TB HDD,Windows 10 Home

Answers

• pjenoy
    pjenoy Member Posts: 42 New User
    Options

Well you could you could take it to a near acer certified service center and let them reapply the thermal compound, just be sure to buy a gaming thermal compound not the stock ones they are currently using, and also it would be more beneficial in your part if you are there during the clean up, because based on my findings, the company did a horrendous job in regards to the application of the said thermal compounds. 

• tactx
    Options

Thank you for answering. From what I've read on different forums, it only brings it down 10 degrees C, down to max 80(ish)C. This is more acceptable, but still not what i would prefer to do since this is a brand new laptop.. had it for 72h now. 

It also seems like some people are "lucky" with the same spec laptop not overheating, and reaching the desired max 70ish C.

Im still considering everything, so if someone has other suggestions, please bring them to the table Smiley Happy 

• tactx
    Options

Just talked with the webstore that I bought my laptop from.

They told me that a GPU and a CPU in a laptop can go up to 110 degrees C, so my laptop is not overheating at all...

What.

• pjenoy
    Options

Yeah, i believe those that had 70 degrees max for gaming are the 17 inchers because they have metal fans and cooler boost technology and dust defender, well during my research in regards to this issue, my only reliable solutions are : 1.reapplying and thoroughly cleaning the thermal compounds and bringing it to an authorized acer service center

2. Turning off the turbo boost

3.Readjusting the fan speed not to max about 60%  https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3489863

4.Undervolting the PSU ( but i believe if you have the lastest  BIOS update you don't need to undervolt the said PSU and also i read an artile here that its because of the PSU in our laptop that is one of the causes for overheating.

**I had applied the step 3 and 4 and i got around 75-85 degrees max on gaming. Will beapplying the no.1 step, still waiting for the Deepcool z9 thermal compound that i bought via online.

Well it is what it is. 

• tactx
    Options

Thanks for replying. I don't really want to open up the laptop.. I am actually considering to get a refund at this very moment. 

I've done some testing of my own, here are some results:

tried with 80% max processor setting (turning off Turbo Boost):
    max CPU 74, MOSTLY DOTA 2.
    Then tried Just Cause 3 for 3 hours: max 83 CPU, 79 GPU.

This is the best solution for me right now.

I also tried using XTU to reduce V as mentioned somewhere in the forums: 
    100% max processor setting (Turbo Boost on),
    and -75V offset, result: CRASH
    and -80V offset, result: CRASH

I decided to stop using XTU, because my laptop crashed a couple mins after i changed to these settings.

• pjenoy
    Options

Well do what you think is best for you, if they will refund then that would be great, if your bios are updated i believe you do not need to undervolt, you just have to use rw everything for the fans Anyhow how is the FPS for your just cause 3? is it playable? and what are the video settings? i thought our vid card isn't able to hand just cause 3..

• tactx
    Options

Im still thinking about it. It's just a shame, cause this laptop definitely has the best specs on the market (on paper at least), for the the low cost.. I bought mine for 1093 USD.. Just a shame it isn't living up to its full potential in reality.

Here are my options in JC3.. gives between 40-50 fps. 

JC3 options.png

• pjenoy
    Options

Well, you should hurry in regards to your decision. Anyhow its still one of the best laptops for me thou, you just have to reapply and twinker a little bit and it would still perform well. Anyhow in regards to the JC 3 that seems acceptable, i just thought that our vid card isn't able to pass for the game, well will be pirating a copy before buying it though.. LOL 

• tactx
    Options

Decided to give it one last shot, and spoke with Acer tech support. The guy told me to send it in, and they will change the thermal paste and have a look at the fans. So i'll give that a try now.

• pjenoy
    Options

You should be there during the cleaning and reapplication so that you would be able to see the application of the factory thermal paste, and also if possible could you snap a pic and share it here so that we would be able to know what we are dealing with, during the past tinkerers, they cleaned their said laptops without snapping a pic, we would be delighted if you had done so Smiley Happy thanks