bCD repair Acer Aspire Notebook

Options
Girardet
Girardet Member Posts: 4 New User
I have a blue screen error code BCD needs to be repaired used recovery media. My question is can I repair without doing a full system restore of my computer. I have had this computer for a year and this is the second time. I did a full repair and restore before. Takes a while with restoring all my files.

Or I can I restore without having to delete my data.

This computer is a dude so many problems.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If you use media you will lose your data. If you remove the HDD and connect it to another computer via USB, you can save all your data to it or another external drive. I don't know what your model is, but my V5 recovery has an option to recover personal files and programs from a clone of the O/S.

• Girardet
    Options
    Thanks. I have a good backup. It is just time consuming to have to once again restore it all. Is there no way to repair bcd without a full restore??? Why does it keep happening
  • philetus
    Options

You could sign up at Technet and download a 90 day evaluation of windows 7, 8, or 8.1 and boot from it and use the repair options.

• Girardet
    Options
    That would mean no restore to factory settings?
  • philetus
    Options

If it repairs the problem, no. What was the error code? 0xc0000225?

• Girardet
    Options
    It was OXC000000d
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I would suggest you to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) from Command prompt and check if that helps.

1. Insert the Windows 8.x installation/recovery media and boot the computer using the disc.
    if you don't have a installation/recovery media:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Note: You need to check the computer manual on how to set CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

2. Once you boot using the Windows installation disc, on the Windows 8.x installation window, click on Repair your computer.

3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair. If that does not help, go for System restore. If that works fine, then create a system restore point so that next time you encounter any problems you may always restore the computer to the recent system restore point created.

4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Once the command completes, restart the computer.

I'm not an Acer employee.