aspire v5 431 recovery without usb backup or cd

Options
maxray
maxray Member Posts: 22 New User

My model Aspire V5 431

It came with win 8 preinstalled and was upgraded to win 8.1 and win 10 eventually and everything was fine. I am well familier with the acer e recovery system and backup recovery in USB. However I dont have the USB recovery backup anymore in my hand ( Why and how....thats another story Smiley Frustrated

The problem started when I did a clean install of windows 10 via media creation tool by booting into that win 10 usb. The new win 10 installed and ran like a breeze. however I ran into activation problem and wanted to go back to my factory default win 8. To my horror I realized i dont have the USB recovery backup (yes you guessed right....I got too excited and used that same usb for media creation and i feel stupid.)

Anyway i thought it cant be that bad so I started the process of trying to recover without any backup in hand. following is the sequence of events:

1. The infamous Alt+F10 did not work

2. Went to bios by F2 and D2D recovery option is not there in the main menu

3. In the boot menu changed from UEFI to Legacy bios and the D2D is now visible in the main menu and enabled.

4. Rebooted and the Alt+F10 worked this time but came with a black screen with "os not found"

After that I went back to bios by f2 and changed back to uefi and booted normally to windows 10 without any issue. Installed partition wizard to check my partitions and this is what i found out

New Bitmap Image (2).jpg

To me it looks like my partitions are intact. The only problem I can think of is that win 10 clean install somhow messed up the acer original MBR. Can anybody please help? The last thing I want to do is to order recovery dvd from acer for my 3 years old Laptop.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

ALT+F10 at boot if your HDD and partitions are still intact.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maxray
    Options

Sorry I was still editing my post. As you can see the Alt+f10 is saying "no OS found"

• IronFly
    Options

i replied in your other thread....LOL

by the way:

HDD is GPT and it's correct.

try this with partition magic.

select the push button recovery and mark  it as active and bootable, select ESP and delete active and bootable.

for safety reasons, copy push button recovery partition to an external HDD or USB flash drive. 

then try to boot normally, not pressing ALT+F10 

• maxray
    Options

I did exactly what you said. it did get into some reset options(but it was not acer e recovery)

It did not give me any factory restore option but it gave me a choice of reset this pc....which I did and after the operation completed the PC is again back with a fresh install of windows 10. any advice??

• IronFly
    Options

i would wipe the HDD completly, even GPT and try to install using an USB flash drive with the push button partition, cloned to the USB flash drive and marked as bootable/active.

• maxray
    Options

Are you talking about wiping the entire drive with all partition or the c: partition only?

I am familier with cloning the recovery partition to a usb but how do I make it bootable? or is it automatically bootable since I am clonning from recovery partition and changing the status/flag of the usb to"boot" ?

I will boot from Hiren's cd , clone using clonezilla, and change flag using partedit in linux environment.

• IronFly
    Options

maxray wrote:

I will boot from Hiren's cd , clone using clonezilla, and change flag using partedit in linux environment.

yep, good

wipe the entire HDD.

• maxray
    Options

I am having some trouble clonning the "Push button reset" partition and making it bootable.Is there any particular freeware which would help?? since i am planning to wipe my hdd my objective is to clone the "push button reset" in a 16GB USB thumbdrive and boot from it by hitting f12 and chossing USB. What could be the possible scenario?? will it open the acer e recovery software after I boot???

• IronFly
    Options

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

http://www.partition-tool.com/

by the way, before wipe HDD, you must try your USB if its' bootable.

• maxray
    Options

Well I havnt wiped my HDD yet as I am in an offshore installation in the middle of the sea and this laptop is sort of my lifeline. However I will give it a shot once back in "civilization" Smiley LOL . Meantime I am unable to create a usb which will boot (with the recovery partition in it) and activate the e recovery software. I have also noticed there is a "install.wim" image file in that partition which is possibly the factory image. Ii have found some information in the net which tells me to use "winpe" and "imagex" to apply that image on C: partition. but the procedure is quite overwhelming for me. Is there any other way I can apply that image on C. Kuddos in advance..

• IronFly
    Options

if you cloned the recovery partition to USB.

from windows 10, plug the USB

open a command pompt (admin) 

(windows key logo + x, choose command prompt (admin))

type

diskpart

list disk

select disk x (x is the letter of your USB flash drive)

list partition

select partition x (x is the partition number where the recovery files are on you USB)

active

exit

try to boot from your USB flash drive, press F12 at boot and choose your USB flash drive.

• maxray
    Options
  • IronFly
    Options

OK...the USB has wrong partitions. Smiley Happy

Follow this instructions to wipe the USB and create a good bootable partition, then copy manully the content of the recovery partition:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/jj200124.aspx

• maxray
    Options

well i created the partition successfully.

this is the content of the partition when explored by partition wizard

push button partition.JPG

But when i copy that partition using the same tool this is what i get

Capture.JPG

You can see clearly the BOOTSEC and some other files have gone missing

And when i manually copy these files to the active partitioned USB it cannot boot.

How do I get the same files on my USB??

And what should be the file system of my bootable usb? NTFS or FAT32? FAT32 is the prefered bootable system by many but cannot take files larger than 4GB which makes it impossible to copy the 11GB "install.wim" image. 

• IronFly
    Options

can you take a screenshot of the content of D2D folder?

NTFS can be good, UEFI can read NTFS too.

• maxray
    Options

here it is

Capture.JPG

This is from the partition wizard but under nomal windows explorer lot of files are missing.

• IronFly
    Options

the install.wim file in which folder is?

it's normal to have some file missing from windows, since it's hiding system files.

• maxray
    Options

Its in the recovery image>OEM folder

Capture.JPG

• IronFly
    Options
  • maxray
    Options

I do have that in mind...i read somwhere to create installation media and replace the install.wim with my OEM install.wim. however i am having trouble downloading the installation media since I am behind a proxy.