acer vn7-593G cpu clock 0,8 Ghz on battery

Options
NDR135
NDR135 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have the vn7-593G  i7-7700hq and gtx1060. First three weeks evything was fine, used it twice on battery and eveything was normal ( i presume). Two days ago i again used it on battery and it kept telling me that it was charged 98% even when i already used it for more than 2 hours on battery. When investigating further i discovered the cpu is limited to 800 Mhz when on battery. I can't solve this issue (i already tried every power plan and looked in advanced setings, everything is normal). The battery issue is solved with a reset (strange i need to do this on a 3 week old laptop?). CPU however keeps at 0,8Ghz and it gives in intel XTU thermal throttle alert at 40°C. Everything works as it should if i put the charger in, throttle alert immediately stops/returns and clocks rise/drop if I plug it in/unplug.  If I don't find a good explanation and solution by tomorrow i will send it back, because i think it has something to do with the motherboard. Does anyone know?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,146 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Try a battery reset, remove the AC adapter and follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 20-30 mins before you try starting again.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• NDR135
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. I´ll try this tomorrow. The thing is, i have 4 days left to return my item. If this works: do i need to worry i have a defective laptop? I want to be sure it works absolutely fine, otherwise now is the time to let it be replaced by another one.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,146 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

If you can return for a replacement, go ahead but it's very difficult for me to tell whether it's defective or not.

• NDR135
    Options

I found some older thread that talks about the same phenomenon: When battery goes under 40% cpu gets throttled at 0,8 Ghz at any temperature, on any power plan. What i don't understand is why this would happen when the laptop sensors indicate 98% battery charge. I reset the battery and charged it and cpu works indeed fine on battery. I have absolutely no clue about what to do know, if it's deffective or just something in acer's driver. If it is Acer's fault, it would be absoltely disgusting that it still is in the driver, since there are complaints about this from previous editions years ago and adding to this that it is nowhere indicated and able to be adjusted or turned off. What is this supposed to be? On a model as expensive as this, an issue from years ago should always be solved. Really shameful