Windows Key from laptop serial number?

Options
westmj
westmj Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-551-8469 with a broken hard drive.  

I can reinstall Windows from disks on a new drive, but I want to use the install key that I paid for in this unit.  Is there any way to get that install key with the drive broken?  The only way I can imagine is through the serial number or SNID on the back.  

Thank you.

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

If your notebook came with windows 8 or 8.1 you can install your windows and after install the windows will activate itself. The key is embeded in the BIOS and windows will take it from there.

If your notebook came with windows 7 then your key should be on a sticker on the back of the notebook. I don't think acer can provide you with key even if you give them the serial number.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

If your notebook came with windows 8 or 8.1 you can install your windows and after install the windows will activate itself. The key is embeded in the BIOS and windows will take it from there.

If your notebook came with windows 7 then your key should be on a sticker on the back of the notebook. I don't think acer can provide you with key even if you give them the serial number.