Win 10 issues with NitroBE (screen, trackpad, num lock)

TokenCDN
TokenCDN Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I got this PC (V592G) back this summer, and it's been working (mostly) except for a few issues I'm pretty sure that are Win 10 related.

First, I get a short term flickering on my screen when a quick brightness changes. Its only lasts for a few seconds and is just a slight rapid changing in brightness - reminds me of a flourescent light warming up. Don't know if it's a driver thing (I've tried different Intel GFX drivers, some are better, but it never goes away.). It doesn't seem to happen if I force my Nvidia chip, so I doubt its a problem with the LCD.

Second, how do I make the trackpad not use the Windows default setting. I've installed the synaptics drivers, but I never get any options to make changes. Going into the advanced options in the mouse setting just shows the trackpad as a basic HID mouse, and I don't get any of the screens to change the Synaptic options (scroll area, etc) like I do on my old MSi running Win 7. Personally I'd rather have a scroll region over 2 finger. Even when I check the option to disble the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in, the trackpad still works

Finally, how the heck do you get the num lock to permanently stay on!!. I've done the reg edit trick and it does work, except if the computer enters sleep mode. Then it will turn itself off, even though it will retain state during a reboot or power down. Kinda sad to have to disable sleep mode just to keep my num lock working

Are there going to be any driver updates in the future (video/audio specifically)? I know Nvidia has made a bunch of changes for dx12 support in the past few months

Answers

• ChuckTin
    ChuckTin Member Posts: 20 Networker
    I have a Aspire Nitro Black Edition (not sure if same model as yours or not, there are several) and I also tried the Reg Edit solution and it didn't stay.

Then I read that because of some "feature" inside Win 10 the Num Lock key cannot be permanently set to "on" (number pad entry remains as numbers). This is a royal PITA.
    If you find a permanent fix please post it!
  • wtfs
    wtfs Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Go into your bios to set trackpad settings to basic instead of advanced to use the synaptics driver

• TokenCDN

I think I did try changing the trackpad bios setting and it didn't work for some reason. If the setting is off, what driver do I use still the i2c (or what ever its called)?

This whole numlock thing is really teaching me to hate Win 10. If anybody from Acer is reading: please put a numlock toggle into the bios settings since MS can't get their stuff together

<edit> I did get the Synaptics working by disabling the advanced touchpad in bios, and using ps2/smb drivers - still had to force change the driver using the device manager.

Is there any way to keep the MS drivers overiding the synaptic ones using advanced/i2c mode? I tried manually changing the driver in the d-manager like above, and even though it did show up as a synaptic trackpad in d-manager - instead of the generic HID mouse it usually is - I couldn't get access to the synaptic settings screens.

What is the benefit of the "advanced" touchpad anyways?

• TokenCDN

Nope. That's almost exactly the way I did it. (initially tried using the installer, but still had to use the device manager to change the driver).

What I was wondering though, is if it's possible to do this same thing without having to disable the advanced trackpad and keep whatever benefits (if any) that has. As far as I can tell Win10 never lets go of the fact its a ps2 device (demonstrated by the fact if I use the disable trackpad when mouse plugged in setting, the trackpad continues to work) and just overlays its features on top ignoring the synaptics *****.

• ChuckTin
    ChuckTin Member Posts: 20 Networker
    I, just tiday, found a discussion of the NumLock setting that recommended turning off Fast Start under Power Plan settings. That seems to have worked for me (fingers crossed)????.
  • wtfs
    wtfs Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

When you use Advanced in the bios, it will use the I2C bus to transmit the touchpad data, this will automatically cause windows 10 to force precision touchpad drivers to work, overriding all other synaptic drivers.

When you use Basic settings in the bios, it will use PS/2 bus to transmit the touchpad data and thats when the synaptic PS/2 Drivers will come into play.

If anything, I2C might be superior in features but as far as many people are concerned the microsoft precision touchpad drivers are ***** and youre better off using the synaptics driver - with PS/2 bus

• TokenCDN

I just thought that since Synaptics has i2c drivers, we might be able to use those features too. I guess it seems MS knows best - had to roll back my intel gfx driver twice, even though I have driver updates disabled too

No matter, seems to work the way I want it - for now, I'm sure the next update will break everything all over again

Now, I just need to get the num lock to stay the way I tell it to.