Will the M.2 port on the Aspire V Nitro Black Edition (VN7-791G-76GA) support PCIe or just SATA III?

obbybay18
obbybay18 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello all,

I have looked at all the spec sheets and all the forums, but I can't find a definitive answer.  I want to drop in a SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 128GB PCI-Express 3.0 SSD, but want to make sure the MoBo can take advatage of the PCIe 3.0 bus for the M.2.  There is no point in getting a M.2 if it just runs over the SATA III bus.  

Thanks for anyone with a answer.  

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It's m.2 sata, also known as NGFF (Next Generation Form Factor), not msata.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

philetus wrote:

It's m.2 sata, also known as NGFF (Next Generation Form Factor), not msata.

Why you invoke the msata?

He told clearly that is an M.2 slot... The question is if this slot supports NVME or just SATA III? This is the question, not what you replied. I also asked the question for 591G and nobody answered the question.

The 792 and 592 supports NVME, but there is no info about this for 591 and 791.

More importantly the keying of the port is M key, not B&M which further confuses the matters because it can hold a 951 SSD from Samsung.

Is such a company secret? Is quite expensive to buy an NVME capable SSD just to run it on SATA III.

BTW there is no such port called M.2 SATA. There is just SSD which is M.2 SATA, meaning that it connects to an M.2 port and has just SATA interface. The host ports are not defined as M.2 SATA or M.2 NVME or whatever. There are wireless cards which connect to M.2 ports, and for sure they don't know the SATA "language"

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I hope this is a better answer,

I think that the 591gs and 791gs will support  NVME with the correct driver or may also need a bios upgrade.

As you say, the info on these two is severly limited in this instance.

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html

Guide about how to get full NVMe support
    (probably valid for all Intel systems from 6-Series up)

• It is no problem to get a PCIe or M.2 connected NVMe SSD working with any Intel Chipset system from 6-Series up, if
      a) it has been designed for the storage of data (as drive D:, E: etc.) and
      b) an appropriate NVMe driver is present within the Operating System (either natively or loaded/integrated),
      but the usage of such SSD as bootable system drive C: usually requires a special mainboard BIOS EFI module, which has to be loaded while booting.
      Note: Some NVMe SSDs like Samsung's 950 Pro SSD are natively bootable in LEGACY mode (CSM and loading of Option ROMs has to be enabled within the BIOS), because their Controller chip contains its own NVMe supporting Option ROM module.