Why does my aspire V5 keep freezing up?

SGoodnight
SGoodnight Member Posts: 5 New User

My Aspire V5-552PG-X809 has frozen 5 times in the last two days. Why is this happening, and how do I stop it. I just got it back from being serviced about two weeks ago, and did a fresh install of windows recently.

Here's the timeline for my system:

About 6 weeks ago the system froze and needed a hard restart. Upon restarting, nothing would load. I couldn't access the recovery partition, and repair media did nothing. 

I sent it back to ACER for repair, and they replaced the HDD.

It ran fine for about two weeks, but I was not paying attention during setup and put in the wrong username (This normally wouldn't be an issue, except it changed the name of the user directory and was a hassle for some R code that I had written).

I reinstalled windows and fixed the directory issue about two days ago.

Since that time I have had about 5 system freezes requiring hard restarts, and every time I'm paranoid that it will kill my HDD again.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The first thing I would check for is malware. Download and run Malewarebytes and see if it finds anything.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html. If it finds anything wrong it will fix it. 

Run System File Checker. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator and run "sfc /scannow".

If it finds anything wrong, it will fix it. 

• SGoodnight

Well it's a fresh install of windows on a brand new HDD. I'll give it a try since it's never a bad idea to have a malware scanner, but I highly doubt that's the problem.

• SGoodnight

Well it wasn't malware. I've gone through and updated all hardware drivers and completely updated windows. It seems to be slightly more stable, but still freezes up at least once or twice a week. I'm getting ready to send it back for repairs again.  I'd prefer to fix it myself, and not have to wait another two weeks, so I'd appreciate any other advice.

• philetus

Open a command prompt as Administer and run System file checker, sfc /scannow. When it's done, restart your laptop.It will find and fix anything wrong with your OS.

Then run MemTest86

http://www.memtest86.com

You could have a memory dimm causing it.

• SGoodnight

We're starting to get somewhere, I think. sfc /scannow found something.

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log"

The log file is really long (hundreds of lines) and I have no idea what any of it means. Should I try to run a recovery or someting? 

Thanks for all the help so far.

• philetus

Before you Recover or reinstall, you should run a test on the HDD.Even though is supposed to be new it could be bad.

You can get a utility from the HDD manufacturer's website or download and burn http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd and use Excelstor.

• SGoodnight

Back again! I've run the HDD scan adn memtest. The HDD scan passed after 1 quick run and 1 in-depth run. After 4 passes from memtest I found no errors.

Everything looks fine on the hardware end, so it looks like refresh/reinstall is next. Thanks for the advice and help, too bad it's not a simple solution.