Whining high pitched noise

Karsten13
Karsten13 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello Guys.

Recently i bought a brand new aspire aspire V nitro.

The problem is that there is a irritating high noise coming from my laptop very frequently when i am using it.

Also, the fans start blowing really intensively sometimes, and then suddenly they are very quiet.

I was wondering if you guys have any idea what the problem might be.

The thing with the fans is not that bad and i can handle that, but the high pitched noise is really annoying and is holding me off using my laptop sometimes.

Thanks in advance,

Karsten

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

The fans are normal, under heavy load they will spin.

Regarding the sound, well it can be coil whining, but I cannot be sure, and unfortunately most manufacturers don't consider it as a manufacturing defect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

In the two youtube videos you have explained what is coil whining and also an example. It can happen on the notebooks as well. If you strongly think that is coil whining you can try to send it back to service, maybe you will be lucky and they will solve it.

Are you sure it's from the notebook and not from the power adapter?

• Karsten13

Hey Sharky, thanks for the reply.

Im not sure if my problem is coil wine.

The noise that is coming out of my laptop is not so fluent (more like you hear it really short several times after eachother). Like you are clearing your throat but then high pitched and not so loud...

I first noticed it when i was downloading a game.

So, if acer doesnt let you change laptop for this problem i assume it is not harmfull for you computer?

• sharky25k

Hi,

So downloading a game eh? Well that means that the HDD was in use.. It can be the HDD sound. But I cannot tell you if the sound is harmless or not, and if you have time you should send your notebook to be checked. It would be better in my opinion than internet diagnosis.

• Karsten13

I read on the internet that ssd doesnt have physically moving parts, and by that it cant be the problem.

Personally i dont know if this is true but im just noting it.

I think i will just have to deal with the problem but thanks for you effort and time.

• sharky25k

Hi,

Well if you have an SSD, then yes, it should not make any noise.

But do you have just an SSD or an SSD and HDD?

• Karsten13

Hey Sharky.

Thanks again for the reply.

I have a ssd and a hdd, the hdd doesnt contain any files right now.

Karsten

• Karsten13

I found out that whenever i move my mouse, this sound occurs, so its not random.

So i guess it doesnt has to do with my ssd or hdd.

• blackhat
    blackhat Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Hi Karsten, check your energy profile. Setting it to "balanced" should quieten the noise a bit. If set to "highest performance" the noise is more evident. I dunno if it's coil whining but there are serveral laptops with skylake architecture suffering from this issue (dell xps 9550 too).
  • jakub
    jakub Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

my fans were also doing that I strongly recommend this temporary solution. just blow into the fans! that worked for me

acer nitro 5
    8gb ram
    amd r7 
    amd readon 500 
    amd comput (12) 8 physical cores