What's your advice: Get a GTX 960m Notebook now or wait a bit and get a GTX 1050 in a month or so?

Options
Quakespeare
Quakespeare Member Posts: 2 New User

I could stand using my old Lenovo for or month or two more if it meant a significant upgrade for the same price. What do you think?

[inappropriate content removed]

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Any Pascal based GPU will outperform the 960m. If you are not in rush you should definitely wait. It literally does not worth to buy any notebook now with a 9 series graphics card now, since the 10 series are much more powerful and power efficient and they will come for sure in the notebooks as well, although at a price cost.

• Shumayal
    Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

The same was said when the VN7-591G with 860m was launched. My friend purchased the laptop but I continued to wait and got the 960m.

To answer your question, yes definitely the 1050m will outperform. But tock of the ticks don't end there. If you wait further, you will expect better and better GPUs and CPUs to arrive but of-course you would end up waiting indefinitely!

If you are not extremely hardcore gamer then the GTX 960m is actually pretty decent. It is performance wise equivalent to the GTX 750 Ti back in the day and it is still a decent card today.

If you have the budget for it, the GTX960m is a safe bet with 4GB VRAM. You can then upgrade later after another 5 years or so. No machine is going to last you a lifetime anyway for the record. lol

If you are really on a short budget, I would suggest considering a desktop computer as you could get a GTX 1070 EVGA overclocked for about the same price at the cost of portability.

• sharky25k
    Options

Shumayal wrote:

The same was said when the VN7-591G with 860m was launched. My friend purchased the laptop but I continued to wait and got the 960m.

To answer your question, yes definitely the 1050m will outperform. But tock of the ticks don't end there. If you wait further, you will expect better and better GPUs and CPUs to arrive but of-course you would end up waiting indefinitely!

If you are not extremely hardcore gamer then the GTX 960m is actually pretty decent. It is performance wise equivalent to the GTX 750 Ti back in the day and it is still a decent card today.

If you have the budget for it, the GTX960m is a safe bet with 4GB VRAM. You can then upgrade later after another 5 years or so. No machine is going to last you a lifetime anyway for the record. lol

If you are really on a short budget, I would suggest considering a desktop computer as you could get a GTX 1070 EVGA overclocked for about the same price at the cost of portability.

I think you don't see the whole picture between 860m, 960m and 10 series?

Between 860m and 960m is less power consumption and a minuscule 8% performance boost in the 960m.

And if you compare the 960m to the 1060 which are in the notebooks right now (they are not labelled anymore m) the performance boost is 180%!!!!! Even if you compare it to the 980m you still get 20% more performance. The jump in the 9 and 10 series is huge, not like previous generations.

So I am expecting that most probably you will get probably around 60-70% performance increase with a 1050 vs a 960m. And yes if you are not in hurry, you should definetely wait.

I think you know that one 1080 for example is almost equivalent to two 980 cards in SLI, and they can be even equivalent if you overclock the 1080, or that one 1060 which is currenlty loaded in the notebooks have just with 30% less processing capacity than a 980 (without m).

• Shumayal
    Shumayal Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Prior to announcement of the 1050, the specs were a pure speculation, such as the source (videocardz)
    was pure speculation. I thought another way then 3 months ago another way to speculate the 1050m
    (Ti or not Ti) can also be the 1060 with 3GB, which has 128 less shader cores than the 6GB version, but still 128 cores more than the 965m. So what about now with performance guessing? And then there is a chance that the older 960m with 640 cores will become the next 1040m. Happy speculating...And Now I feel lost.

I'm not very well informed about the world of graphics card so maybe Sharky25k can you help me put some context in place?

1)So will this GTX 960m's successor, the 1050 no longer be labelled as 1050m because it is just so much powerful to be labeled as a mobile chip? 
    2)What about the equivalent mobile chip of today's 1N7070 in desktop PCs ? Like performance wise the 960m is said to be equivalent to the GTX 750. Has Pascal suddenly equated desktop cards to notebook cards and we finally see the exact same in both

3)I got the VN7-592G after waiting since 2008 to afford it. When will this model get updated with 10 series graphics card? Will it continue to cost the same and be affordable to budget gamers at ~$1200?

If yes, then as a budget gamer, Pascal has hit me hard haha

• Quakespeare
    Quakespeare Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

As far as I know, there will be no "m"-models for this generation (i.e. 1050m).

You guys seem to presume that a 1050 notebook will be both more powerful and more expensive than a 960m one - yet the desktop version of the 1050 will be significantly cheaper than the 960.

So what is it that leads you to your presumptions?

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Yes it's true there will be no m chips. This is because the power efficiency of the 10 series is much higher and even a notebook will be able to handle the thermals (there is a notebook out there with 2 1080 in SLI, and it can handle the cooling, even if it looks the same size as an alienware.)

I did not tell anything about the price.

But to be honest in a notebook the card will be more expensive. Because is a Pascal one, and companies will push the price for the "premium" latest graphics chip. But I think the 1050 in the notebook will hit the same price as the 960m in a normal notebook.

You can see that a notebook from MSI with 1060 is 1800$

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS63VR-Stealth-Pro-068-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IS33OLC?th=1

It's true it has 256gb SSD and 1TB HDD.

But a notebook with 965m graphics card (I did not find the 960m in the same model) is 1400$

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Ghost-242-NOTEBOOK-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01AC40PL2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477051392&sr=1-2&keywords=gs60&th=1

It's true this model has just a 128 GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

The rest of the configuration is kinda the same.

So if you shave 100$ from the 1060 one for the fact that has a 256 gb SSD you still end up with a notebook which is 300$ more expensive compared to the 965m one, and this difference in price is mainly due to the graphics card itself.

It can be that the 1050 one will be the same price as the 965m but you never know.