Wait, Aspire laptops can't wake without being open?

Options
toddlukowski
toddlukowski Member Posts: 2 New User

I've seen a few posts here alluding to the fact that they can't wake their laptops up while closed, which seems incredibly weird so I'm hoping it is a legacy flaw in the BIOS or something.  However, I just bought a new Aspire V17 Nitro Black, and I plan to use it part of the time as a workstation replacement connected to external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.  I ALSO can't get it to respond without opening the laptop, which then requires that I manually tell Windows to not output a video signal to the laptop display (I don't need a dual display most of the time, and a cloned display would just be distracting).  

PLEASE somebody tell me there is a tweak or hack to permit operation while the laptop is closed.  I would have never even thought to look into that before buying because it seems to have very little practical benefit for the vast majority of users.

Thanks...and yes I did see other posts but they appeared to deal with older models, which is why I'm hoping more recent models are more user-friendly.

Answers

• Gnthr
    Gnthr Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Acer did that FEATURE BY DESIGN!? ...so they say.

I think it is in the Intel display driver modified by Acer which does not confirm to a wakeup when the lid is closed (guessing).

I gave up finding the right solution and reverted to a mechanical workaround. I put a rubber strip under the front of the lid to keep it open by about 7mm or 1/4". I use a larger metal washer (yeah, really - ca. 35mm/1.5" diameter) which I slide in at the right forward side between the keyboard and the lid.  There is a magnet in the keyboard and a sensor in the lid which is triggered by inserting the washer. So the system THINKS the user opened the lid. The position of the magnet/sensor might be different on your model. You can use the washer to find the magnet.

I think this is embarrassing for Acer to have this BY DESIGN and no fix/change.

/Guenther