Verifying NVMe support in VN7-792G-79T3

EcksonTyyl
EcksonTyyl Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I know it's a recurring subject on this forum, but I have a new twist on it.

I have a VN7-792G, which I hoped to upgrade with an NVMe SSD from the likes of Samsung. I know there has been a lot of talk about whether it's possible to boot from such drives, but my concern is whether there is something odd with my particular submodel (the 79T3 part maybe?) that causes it to lack any sign of NVMe hardware when I explore the hardware through Windows.

The indication that such may be the case came when I compared a screenshot posted on this forum of the HWiNFO64 program with what I saw in that program when I ran it myself.

Witness:

Exhibit 1: Screenshot that Zorrobyte posted to the thread "Why is the M2 PCIE slot speed capped to 1.5GBs? VN7-592G-71ZL": hwinfo64.png

Exhibit 2: Screenshot from my VN7-792-79T3: hwinfo64.png

(I don't think you need HWiNFO to compare your hardware to these two results; the Device Manager from Windows seems to show the same nodes in a slightly different view.)

It's quite apparent that the other person's screenshot contains two nodes that are described as "PCI Express x4 Bus" (one of which has a subnode which seems to an NVMe drive from Samsung), while my screenshot contains no such "PCI Express x4 Bus" nodes.

So I was wondering if anyone can explain this discrepancy, or if they have knowledge of there being any variability of the presence of NVMe support even within the 792G product group?

Answers