VX15 Enable Raid / SSD Caching?

Options
Olly1
Olly1 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi There,

I've just bought an Aspire VX 15 laptop with a 128gb SSD drive + 1tb HDD. I would like to use the SSD as a caching drive using the Intel Smart Response Technology and having read the guide it says that you need to put the device into RAID mode but I can't find a setting for this in the BIOS.

I've tried using the command line tool rstcli64.exe (version 13.2) but this gives the result:

Could not get system information

Could not get system info

Can anyone tell me how I could go about enabling RAID and/or the SSD caching on this laptop?

Thanks,

Olly

Answers

• Olly1
    Olly1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

To anyone reading this:

From what I can see it is not possible with this model of laptop. I managed to get the rstcli app working by hacking on some Windows 7 drivers which allowed me to run commands against the chip but I was unable to enable the RAID feature this way as I'm pretty sure it must be done through the BIOS (and because I was using wonky drivers I don't think the app was 100% happy either).

I experimented using the ExpressCache program which used to ship with older Acer laptops and this worked OK but the cache kept flushing for various reasons (Windows Updates, setting changes, etc.) and when the cache flushed the speed became slower than HDD speeds. I think given time my configuration would have settled and the cache wouldn't have kept flushing but the time when you want speed the most is usually when you're doing this kind of work so it became frustrating and I gave up on ExpressCache.

You are left with two solutions then (of which I've gone with the second one):

Solution One: Buy yourself an SSD and replace the HDD drive. There are some good guides on YouTube for opening up the VX15 though for some model you might have to purchase a mounting kit and adapter cable for the drive so you would be best opening up your laptop and checking whether you need the kit or not before you order anything.

Solution Two: I ended up using a partition wizard to to shrink the HDD partition to 118gb and then I copied this (along with the boot and recovery partitions) onto the SSD. I then used the the DiskPart tool from the Windows recovery console to set the main copied partition as C: and finally set the correct boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SSD. Once I'd checked it was booting correctly I erased the partitions on the HDD and created a new blank partition. 

110gb is not a whole lot of space but I've moved my Chrome profile, my Spotify cache, my Sql Server DATA directory, my Steam Apps folder and my main profile folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos) over onto the second drive and kept the SSD just for Windows and my main day-to-day applications. With this configuration I've still got 50gb free on the SSD and most of my general clutter is saved to the HDD drive. I can see that this is not ideal for gaming but you could still install your most played game/s to the SSD and install your casual games to the HDD where you're not too bothered about longer load times. 

So overall not the 1tb drive running close to SSD speeds that I was hoping for but it's this setup seems to work well for me and the laptop is performing very well for me whilst utilizing both disk drives effectively

Cheers,

Olly