VN7-792G overheating

aquaboy11
aquaboy11 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

Since the beginning I own this laptop it overheats. As soon as I play a game the CPU temperature will go up and fluctuate around 80-100 degrees celcius. I had to manually turn down the maximum CPU speed to about 60% in energy saving settings to keep it under 70C. This of course has quite some impact on the speed of the laptop. I cannot do the things advertised on the product page without hurting the laptop (assuming 100C is dangerous for a processor). What can I do?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

If you would have the CPU at 100 degrees your notebook would automatically shut down as a safety measure. Yes, it is working at around 95-98 degrees. The CPU has built in mechanisms to avoid reaching the Prochot temperature, like thermal throttling. It is a notebook so you will never have a cooling like on a PC. Many notebooks work at that temperature when they have the CPU under heavy load.

You can try to improve airflow by cleaning the vents, use a cooling pad, change the thermal paste or use notebook fan control if you will find a configuration for the 792G

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

We also cannot attest to the safety of third party websites.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

Thanks!

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Unless acer will develop this:  http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/Fan-Control-for-the-Acer-Nitro-series/m-p/377719#M159 we don't have any other option but to rely on third party software which does exactly what was suggested in that post. I highlight that the suggestion was accepted and "sent to engineers" almost one year ago....