VN7-792G failed reset and recovery, and now 'no bootable device'

Sandwalker
Sandwalker Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

In December I first posted here about an odd issue with the HDD in my new VN7-792G stopping all read/write access.  Turned out to be a bad disk.  But now I have a new problem...

Sometime in the last month my WiFi started acting up -- it would just stop sending and receiving all data, but do it intermittently.  One day I was playing World of Warcraft and doing other things perfectly fine, the next day... nope.  I tried upgrading the drivers, but that didn't seem to help either.

I figured I'd do a reset to get the computer back to where it started.  Well, that didn't work. It failed repeatedly at 32% and just gave me that irritating light blue screen with 'There was a problem resetting your PC.'

So I made a recovery USB rive using the Acer Care app, and tried that.  Nope.  It failed after about a minute, giving me 'There was a problem recovering your PC.'

This morning I turned it on, and was greeted with a screen saying that a request had been made to clear the TPM.  I tried both 'No' and 'Yes' options with the same result, and now when the computer is turned on, I get a 'No bootable device' screen.

So now the SSD appears to be cleared with no files on it.  If I use the recovery USB drive to get into the command prompt, the D: (the 2GB HDD) is fine, but there's no C: -- it apparently doesn't exist.  The SSD appears in the BIOS (or is it UEFI, now?), but that's it.

I can't access the recovery partition either with Alt-F10 (unless I'm not getting the timing right), so I'm wondering if the partitions were removed.  All I did was go the 'delete my files' route, which should have just restored/reinstalled Windows and the apps that came with it.  Apparently that's not what happened.

About the only thing I can think of to try right now is to use the Microsoft utility to download and create a Windows 10 ISO/USB disk and see if that works.

On a side note, if I'd thought to check the forums first, I'd have seen this post about the WiFi problem I was trying to fix, and maybe I wouldn't be in this mess now: http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-v17-Nitro-black-VN7-792G-dropping-wifi-connection/td-p/478155#_ga=1.211326864.48743743.1483042275

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you checked SSD partitions with diskpart from command prompt?

if there's no sign of partitions...you can only do a windows 10 clean install.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sandwalker
    Well... This afternoon I talked to the technician that serviced the computer, and he said that the recovery partition was on the 2GB HDD that he replaced, so the reset was failing because the partition is obviously no longer there on the new HDD. I'll be taking the computer back to be reimaged, or whatever he has to do, next week.
  • starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Possible that the technician never put the recovery partition on the new HDD. Personally, unless I had a disk image with irreplaceable stuff on it, I would just download a new Windows 10 and do a clean install at this point. Nothing to lose - except some Acer bloatware Smiley Happy

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Sandwalker wrote:
    Well... This afternoon I talked to the technician that serviced the computer, and he said that the recovery partition was on the 2GB HDD that he replaced, so the reset was failing because the partition is obviously no longer there on the new HDD. I'll be taking the computer back to be reimaged, or whatever he has to do, next week.

probably it was 2TB  HDD Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sandwalker
    I thought of that, but I don't know what the product key for the machine is, or if it would work with a regular copy of Windows.
  • starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I believe that Microsoft has already registered your machine, so the Product Key isn't necessary. But I would check with Acer on that.... There is also Acer recovery media available if you can wait for it to arrive: 

US:
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Canada:
    https://store.acer.com/en-ca/extended/recovery/

Outside U.S. you need to contact your regional Acer support.

I assume Plain Windows 10 should work, too, and would automatically retrieve most of the necessary drivers. There would be a few drivers that you would need to download from Acer directly. There is a thread about this stuff here:  http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/how-to-clean-install-of-Win-10-on-Aspire-One/td-p/392092      I assume most of it is still relevant.

• ugur
    ugur Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

after a clean installation, it's a good idea to get a disk image for the future when Windows is getting better. (proglars , drivers, updates, and more)
    EVERYTHING IT'S BEAUTIFUL. NOW THE TIME HAS COME.?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJ2XsmPO4E&t=43s